Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Another car added to the caryard

wally01 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 26-03-2024 @ 07:44 AM

Re: Another car added to the caryard

Is there anyway i can determine if the diff is a spool or LSD it hooks up quick and is tight.

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 10:31 PM

Quote Originally Posted by wally01 View Post
    Is there anyway i can determine if the diff is a spool or LSD it hooks up quick and is tight.
    You would know all about it if someone had put a locked up spool in it
    as the tires would screech & squeal every time you went around a corner, even at very low speed.
    If you drove it on concrete like in an underground car park
    the noise would be unmissable & some people would be giving you dirty looks.

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    You would know all about it if someone had put a locked up spool in it
    as the tires would screech & squeal every time you went around a corner, even at very low speed.
    If you drove it on concrete like in an underground car park
    the noise would be unmissable & some people would be giving you dirty looks.
    I sort of figured that would be the case ,i would say it has a very tight LSD in it there is not even a whine from it .
    Got the speedo all sorted and digital speedo on the display now as well ..$40 for that .
    The engine is original oil pressure a bit on the low side ,did a comparison on my SS mine came up all good.
    It needs some love and that's what we will do ,and has also had a full respray more flake in it compared to standard Hot house.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Most LS1's will require oil pump/lifters around 170,000-200,000K's depending on condition, this is about the life. Probbly best don't overlook valve springs & seals too.

Goo is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 08:28 PM

Got the speedo all sorted and digital speedo on the display now as well ..$40 for that.
    Do you mind if I ask who fixed your speedo, I've already paid a local $110 & he just made it worse. I've had a quote from another shop an hour or so away & they are wanting $175 + another $125 if the ecu is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Goo View Post
    Do you mind if I ask who fixed your speedo, I've already paid a local $110 & he just made it worse. I've had a quote from another shop an hour or so away & they are wanting $175 + another $125 if the ecu is locked.
    Theo Birbas ,ex Holden worker also worked at Peter Page and City Holden .
    Just had to take for a run up to 100k for a second or 2 put what he needed in the Tech 2 stopped turned it off started it up and bingo 60 is 61 via GPS couldn't be happier.

So i had sort of figured the 20 inch wheels the yard put them on i will put some pics up of what the tyres look like there is no way in hell they were on the car for any longer than i have driven it with guards not rolled.
    Putting some 17 inch VX GTS copys on for now until i get the gaurds looked at and new tyres,i just happen to have a spare set of wheels so i will use them for now.
    LR Sidewall.jpg
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7778
    [/ATTACH]Wheel 1 RR.jpg
    lATTACH=CONFIG]7781[/ATTACH] the rims are 20X 9.5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wally01; 22-02-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Ring top.jpgring.jpg
    Could not for the life of me get the RHS wheel on found this on the hub took it off no problem ,so whats the go with that ,i can see it is a shim or a sleeve /spacer that is a new one for me ,i thought i knew most things but not this .
    Anyway wheels changed all good for today ,they kind of spin a bit easier than a 20 ooooppps sorry to the neighbors for that one .

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Most LS1's will require oil pump/lifters around 170,000-200,000K's depending on condition, this is about the life. Probbly best don't overlook valve springs & seals too.
    Our SS is a little noisy few sec or 2 on start up ,the ute is as quiet as a mouse not a noise from it at all ,still unsure if it has a cam in it or not ,i think it does the idle is a little different ..

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2024 @ 08:47 PM

Ring top.jpgring.jpg
    Could not for the life of me get the RHS wheel on found this on the hub took it off no problem ,so whats the go with that ,i can see it is a shim or a sleeve /spacer that is a new one for me ,i thought i knew most things but not this .
    Anyway wheels changed all good for today ,they kind of spin a bit easier than a 20 ooooppps sorry to the neighbors for that one .

It's a concentric hub ring, as your aftermarket wheels have a larger center hole, compared to the wheel hub.

It centers the wheel onto the hub.

There are Plastic ones and Aluminium ones available.

OEM wheels have the correct wheel center hole size, so no extra ring is required. All the wheel load is meant to transfer between the wheel and the hub thru the center hole.

This is why on OEM wheels, the wheel is a really neat fit on the center hub.

Buying decent high performance tyres, makes a huge difference in traction, a good semi slick street tyre with around a 200 treadwear rating, will perform 10 fold better than cheap hard long wearing zero traction crap tyres.

I see it all the time, people buying huge diameter wheels, then fitting the cheapest tyres they can find, then wonder why they have no traction.

A Truetrac diff center is a vast improvement over the factory LSD.

19's and 20's are too big for VT - VZ, the side walls are way to too small for go handling.

When was the last time you saw a race car running tyres with liquorice strip side walls... basically never...

18's are as large as you would want to go, to still be able to get a decent side wall on a VT - VZ, for good handling IMO.

17's or 18's are great for VT - VZ IMO.

Also having the same size wheels and tyres front and rear, enables you to rotate the wheels rear to front and front to rear to even out the wear.

My rears wear twice as fast as my fronts (zero burnouts BTW) just from acceleration, so once the rears are half worn, I swap them to the front, and put the front on the rear and maximize tyre life.

Then they all wear out at the same time.

I don't want to ask how the car yard got a roadworthy with those over sized aftermarket wheels and stretched tyres, rubbing on the guards.

There clearly un-roadworthy cop bate...

Quote Originally Posted by SASLS1 View Post
    It's a concentric hub ring, as your aftermarket wheels have a larger center hole, compared to the wheel hub.

It centers the wheel onto the hub.
    Thanks did some reasearch in between and found what they were so thats fine had me stumped for a minute of 5 ..

There are Plastic ones and Aluminium ones available.

OEM wheels have the correct wheel center hole size, so no extra ring is required. All the wheel load is meant to transfer between the wheel and the hub thru the center hole.

This is why on OEM wheels, the wheel is a really neat fit on the center hub.

Buying decent high performance tyres, makes a huge difference in traction, a good semi slick street tyre with around a 200 treadwear rating, will perform 10 fold better than cheap hard long wearing zero traction crap tyres.

I see it all the time, people buying huge diameter wheels, then fitting the cheapest tyres they can find, then wonder why they have no traction.

A Truetrac diff center is a vast improvement over the factory LSD.

19's and 20's are too big for VT - VZ, the side walls are way to too small for go handling.

When was the last time you saw a race car running tyres with liquorice strip side walls... basically never...

18's are as large as you would want to go, to still be able to get a decent side wall on a VT - VZ, for good handling IMO.

17's or 18's are great for VT - VZ IMO.

Also having the same size wheels and tyres front and rear, enables you to rotate the wheels rear to front and front to rear to even out the wear.

My rears wear twice as fast as my fronts (zero burnouts BTW) just from acceleration, so once the rears are half worn, I swap them to the front, and put the front on the rear and maximize tyre life.

Then they all wear out at the same time.

I don't want to ask how the car yard got a roadworthy with those over sized aftermarket wheels and stretched tyres, rubbing on the guards.

There clearly un-roadworthy cop bate...
    Don't need a roadworthy here in SA ,but to me the car should not have had those wheels on it as the tyres are RS ,anyway i slapped the 17 inch ones on it so its all good now ..

Little update ,this car has one of those stupid pod filter air intakes on it ,including a metal pipe that gets damn hot ,i also found the pod was not even on it are theses thing restrictive i put it back on don't want an engine sucking in crap now it seems a little down on power ,but not to worry there is a VCM OTR on the way .

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 10:31 PM

Any air filter has some restriction, some are hardly restrictive, others are worse, especially when dirty or clogged.

A proper size pod is not very restrictive, I don't know what pod you have.

I have a VCM airbox on mine with a massive K&N pod filter, works fine for me.

https://vcmstore.com.au/products/vcm...osuit-vt-vz-v8

Here is a pic with the specs on my pod filter
    Air Filter 1.jpg

I bought this intake because it has the filter enclosed (so it can get legally passed for an engineering certificate)
    & Harrop recommended it to suit my supercharger.

SS Engine Avatar.jpg
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 27-02-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Any air filter has some restriction, some are hardly restrictive, others are worse, especially when dirty or clogged.

Air Filter 1.jpg

I bought this intake because it has the filter enclosed (so it can get legally passed for an engineering certificate)

SS Engine Avatar.jpg
    Sounds fair ,nice blower .
    It looks like some crappy off the shelf one not like the K@N in the pic that one would be better than the one it has at the moment ..

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Air Filter 1.jpg

SS Engine Avatar.jpg
    Same size K&N Pod that I run on my blown VE Ed, they work well. Love your enclosed setup, looks great.

Thread Information