Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My new to me VY SS

VYSS 2002 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 22-05-2023 @ 10:58 PM

Re: My new to me VY SS

Quote Originally Posted by Red CV8 R View Post
    One other benefit of the VCM is that I believe it's basically a drop in proposition on the VY / VYII / V2 II and III cars. Other cars need some "adjustment" to fit the VCM or basically any OTR. Every other OTR has scuffed my car too, unfortunately. Doesn't seem to be the case with the VCM.
    thanks mate good to know, the VY comes home this Saturday, cant wait to get it into the garage

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2024 @ 08:47 PM

I've run the XAIR OTR from New Zealand in my VZ 6.0L for the last few years ( see pic below ), and AFAIK it has the largest air filter size of any OTR brand in the VT - VZ range (460mm x 180mm ) with a washable / reoilable " Green Filter " from the USA...

https://www.xairperformance.co.nz/otr-cold-air-intake/vt2vxvyvz-v8-commodore.html

Originally they were fiberglass (approx 5mm thick very sturdy ) with a gel coated gloss finish ( same as mine above ) but in recent years they have also made a plastic and carbon fiber version as well.

I very neatly trimmed the OEM radiator shroud around the OTR for the most neat factory look as possible and still retained the MAF.

Their 460mm x 180mm filter is almost double the size of the OEM filter in the factory air box, for maximum Ram Air Effect, their is no comparison.

From all my research, I liked the larger filter design of the XAIR OTR compared to any other brand OTR at the time, hence I bought it and haven't looked back since.

Prior I made my own OCD twin 90mm PVC bell mouthed MCAI modified shroud / factory air box combination, and had great enjoyment making it, and it was very cheap to buy / make at the time and fully sealed.

It worked quite well but after a few years I wanted more...

So I finally bought the XAIR OTR, it was a vast improvement over my prior setup, a lot more throttle responsiveness / pickup, with a fair amount more induction noise as well, so Win Win.

Well worth spending the money on the OTR... IMO...

VYSS 2002 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 22-05-2023 @ 10:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by SASLS1 View Post
    I've run the XAIR OTR from New Zealand in my VZ 6.0L for the last few years ( see pic below ), and AFAIK it has the largest air filter size of any OTR brand in the VT - VZ range (460mm x 180mm ) with a washable / reoilable " Green Filter " from the USA...

https://www.xairperformance.co.nz/otr-cold-air-intake/vt2vxvyvz-v8-commodore.html

Originally they were fiberglass (approx 5mm thick very sturdy ) with a gel coated gloss finish ( same as mine above ) but in recent years they have also made a plastic and carbon fiber version as well.

I very neatly trimmed the OEM radiator shroud around the OTR for the most neat factory look as possible and still retained the MAF.

Their 460mm x 180mm filter is almost double the size of the OEM filter in the factory air box, for maximum Ram Air Effect, their is no comparison.

From all my research, I liked the larger filter design of the XAIR OTR compared to any other brand OTR at the time, hence I bought it and haven't looked back since.

Prior I made my own OCD twin 90mm PVC bell mouthed MCAI modified shroud / factory air box combination, and had great enjoyment making it, and it was very cheap to buy / make at the time and fully sealed.

It worked quite well but after a few years I wanted more...

So I finally bought the XAIR OTR, it was a vast improvement over my prior setup, a lot more throttle responsiveness / pickup, with a fair amount more induction noise as well, so Win Win.

Well worth spending the money on the OTR... IMO...
    nice setup, that filter sure is larger than the ones I have seen, impressive setup and thanks for sharing

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2024 @ 08:47 PM

While looking at the XAIR web site, they have made a quote which is completely incorrect.

XAIR quote " In 99% of applications the Green Filters do not require re-oiling, simply wash with warm soapy water every standard 10,000km or 15,000km Service! Guaranteed for 100,000km "

Green Filter USA requires any time the filter is washed / cleaned, for it to be completely dried naturally and re-oiled before re-installation into your vehicle.

I just use Sard Wonder Ultra Whitening laundry power and warm water to wash the cotton gauze Green Filter out.

Then I bought a couple Green Filter USA oil spray bottles from Summit in the USA to do the re-oiling.
    Last edited by SASLS1; 20-04-2022 at 11:51 AM.

Well picked up the VYSS this morning, drove it 3hrs home, and it is just magic, totally unmolested beautiful machine, drives a bloody dream,
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Cool Re: My new to me VY SS

Last edited by whitels1ss; 23-04-2022 at 05:06 PM. Reason: embedded video clip

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 29-03-2024 @ 08:02 AM

Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    Looks great!
    thanks mate, well pleased, couldnt fault it on the way home

Ok, plates off today and into the garage for some love and maintenance, will have her back on the road in around 12 to 18 months, just bought a set of headlights for it, will tidy up the existing ones keep them for spares, noticed when I first saw it, one of the rubbers on the rear passenger door was splitting with age, are these something that GMH (Dealers) still sell, or just seeing whether I keep an eye out for marketplace etc

motomk is offline Da Knife Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 01:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by VYSS 2002 View Post
    Ok, plates off today and into the garage for some love and maintenance, will have her back on the road in around 12 to 18 months, just bought a set of headlights for it, will tidy up the existing ones keep them for spares, noticed when I first saw it, one of the rubbers on the rear passenger door was splitting with age, are these something that GMH (Dealers) still sell, or just seeing whether I keep an eye out for marketplace etc
    Not sure which bits you are after. Ebay has some used items and there is other stuff on there.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...seal&_osacat=0
    https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...+seal&_sacat=0

Or wait until rare spares have it.
    https://www.rarespares.net.au/raresp...commodore-rear
    https://www.rarespares.net.au/raresp...-four-door-set

Quote Originally Posted by motomk View Post
    hey mate, im just grabbing bits and pieces here n there, I did see rare spares so thats cool, have a few bits coming off Gumtree, will check those ebay links you posted also, thanks

been on alittle buying spree picking up bits and pieces here and there, I am just about to embark on painting the engine cover and some bits in Hothouse green, watched a few video's on painting the plastics, looks pretty easy, anyone done this with some real life input? products etc and how did it turn out??
    Thanks

It's all about preparation & taking your time with every stage.

That reminds me...... I have to repaint mine soon as well.

Went out and found another set of LS1 Engine covers, prefer these to the standard one on it (Keeping them) fit rather nice, will be sent of to get Soda Blasted next week, Hot House Green Paint is ordered and away we go,,,,, on the look out for a set of 18' Original VY SS rims now,
    [IMG][/IMG]

Look great, I would actually be tempted to keep them that red colour.

Thread Information