Thread: VZ MAF Pipe DIY Install ($45!)

JezzaB is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 15-01-2024 @ 11:34 AM

VZ MAF Pipe DIY Install ($45!)

Well I picked up the VZ MAF pipe I ordered for Holden tonight. Funny coz when I rang around for prices it was $57-60 but when I actually went down there 2 days later and ordered it, it was only $45. Go figure.

The pipe comes with the two clamps (the bloke I ordered it from told me that I would have to buy them seperate but I told him I would use the old ones).

I picked it up and had a chat with the guy in spare parts (different guy I ordered it from) and he told me they have a bit of a race car down there and they did a back to back run with the pipe and gained 3rwkw. Hmm

Got it home and had to work out what I was going to use to block the PCV (think thats what it is) hole with as I didnt have the cap and clamp. Didn't have any plastic weld and was after closing time and HAD to do it now, so decided to use a little lateral thinking.

The PCV hole has a little flange on it so I heated it up with a lighter and smeared the plastic towards the hole. The hole soon became very small and I decided to let it cool. Then I repeated the process but heating a little longer and smearing the plastic over the hole and basically folding it over one another agin and again till I was satisfied (luckly my chippy hands have some nice thick calluses, so I didn't get too many burns!).

In the end it worked a treat. Pressure tested it (wrapped my mouth around the PCV and blew as hard as I could and wasn't loosin any air )

Next my problem was that the MAF on a VZ is bigger than my VU. I was pretty sure the pipe wouldn't be a nice snug fit around the MAF if I just tightened the clamp.

I grabbed the old MAF pipe and cut off the 20mm section on the MAF end where the clamp goes and slipped it inside the new MAF pipe. The two fit perfectly because of the dip for the clamp and lock in. Buckled at first but you just have to smooth your fingers around it a couple of time and it becomes the same shape. Im sure you could glue it at this time but I couldn't be bothered.

Slipped the MAF on, checking to see if the old MAF "sleeve" would stay in place and it did. Well, all done and everything fits perfectly. Took a whole of 8-10mins.

Now the performance. Well I truely can't say to much because I havent taken it to my "testing strip" (gotta work tomorrow and its on the way) but I did give it a quick burl up the shops and could feel a little more SOTP. Needs further testing though.

Either way i'm rapt! Much better pipe than the old one and definately won't compress as much and has a much smoother bend (also the aesthetics are sooo much better than the old one).

I someone wants I will post some step by step pics of the install and the cutoff section of the MAF.

Jez

kazido is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 13-03-2015 @ 09:10 PM
    Pics would be great!!! Sounds good and cheap...usually doesnt happen!!!!
    Well done
    Don

JezzaB is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 15-01-2024 @ 11:34 AM
    Will post pics tomorrow. Little dark outside (ok the real reason is im sinkin a few and cant be arsed!)

Jez

team illucid is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-06-2020 @ 06:34 PM
    sounds good ...

Maxih is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 18-08-2011 @ 07:25 AM
    Can the VZSS mafpipe be fitted to a series1 VYSV8. There seems to be a sensor of some kind on the standard VY pipe..
    Ta

The sensor is a IAT (Intake Air Temporature) sensor. It tells the computer the temp of the air coming into the engine. The VZ have the IAT in the MAF but you can but it in the pipe by drilling a hole. Unfortunalty I can't give you any hot tips coz mine was in the airbox.
    Jez

VX2VESS is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-02-2017 @ 11:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzab

I grabbed the old MAF pipe and cut off the 20mm section on the MAF end where the clamp goes and slipped it inside the new MAF pipe. The two fit perfectly because of the dip for the clamp and lock in. Buckled at first but you just have to smooth your fingers around it a couple of time and it becomes the same shape. Im sure you could glue it at this time but I couldn't be bothered.

Slipped the MAF on, checking to see if the old MAF "sleeve" would stay in place and it did. Well, all done and everything fits perfectly. Took a whole of 8-10mins.

Jez
    good work, melting et is something i'd do

fit the cutoff to the maf first then slide the new pipe over will stop the first up buckle you got with the bit. done this beforewith rubber 100mm pipes it works

ASC-07 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 01-10-2011 @ 08:05 PM
    Jezzab, first of all great work for the lateral thinking.
    Was thinking of doing something like this on my VY SS.
    Could you please post up some pictures so i can get
    some ideas?? Cheers

Sorry about not posting any pics as i promised. Just went outside and took a couple.

Here's the PCV after it has been melted and smeared:

This is one of the cutoff from the old stock MAF pipe. The cut is rough-as-guts coz i used a hacksaw blade (couldn't find the stanley and was in a hurry) but just put the rough edge in (clean all of the dags off first!):

Placing the cutoff into the new pipe and the bulging before smoothing it with your fingers:

The cutoff in place and fitting like a glove:

The final install, notice you cant see the cutoff at all (i dont want to hear a thing about my dirty engine bay!!!):

Hope this helps you out a bit,
    Jez

Oldmonroman is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 29-10-2014 @ 08:24 AM
    Whats the difference in ID size from the new to VZ Maf pipe

Thread Information