Thread: Rough idle and dash light dimming issue on VX SS 5.7

clarky is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-07-2014 @ 09:56 PM

Rough idle and dash light dimming issue on VX SS 5.7

Hi All,

Recently I have purchased a VX SS 2001 5.7 litre. I have noticed 3 issues that bother me, one is the diff clatter problem, the car is out of warranty is I heard there is some kit you can get from Holden, is this correct?

Another issue is the rough idling, sometimes when I am at a set of lights, I notice that the car idles rough, nearly to the point where I think it may cut out, but it doesnt. I thought it may be cheap Caltex fuel, I am now using BP Ultimate problem still occurs? Any ideas?

Another issue is that also when stopped, sometimes my dash lights dim along with the radio, it only happens for a split second, does not cut out completely just seems to flash lighter then it gains full light again, bit weird, anyone got any advice?
    Thanks, you guys are very helpful and I appreciate all your advice and assistance. Not even going to bother to ask Holden these questions

VYGENIII is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 12-09-2015 @ 08:54 PM
    check your alternator

GETUTED is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 30-03-2013 @ 03:11 PM
    Another issue is the rough idling, sometimes when I am at a set of lights, I notice that the car idles rough, nearly to the point where I think it may cut out, but it doesnt. I thought it may be cheap Caltex fuel, I am now using BP Ultimate problem still occurs? Any ideas?

Similar thing happened to me ended up being O2 sensors. $290 to replace.

SV99 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 14-01-2013 @ 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky
    Hi All,

Another issue is that also when stopped, sometimes my dash lights dim along with the radio, it only happens for a split second, does not cut out completely just seems to flash lighter then it gains full light again, bit weird, anyone got any advice?

Yes this happend to my bosses WHII Stato, Turns out the altinator needed a new diode pack and an Altinator Wiring Harness.

Died in the middle of the Hornibrook bridge at sandgate. Right in the middle.

Boom all blacked out and wouldnt restart.

It also could be an earth wire has come loose. or dodgey terminals on the battery.

bpm is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 16-09-2017 @ 08:17 AM
    i think u will find the dash lights dimming slightly for a second is from the extra load on the electrical system when the radiator fans switch on.

Thread Information