Thread: FPV - HSV Rims

VZKOOP is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 30-08-2013 @ 04:02 PM

FPV - HSV Rims

Reading the latest Motor last night and an earlier edition with FPV models. Is it just me or has anyone noticed how similar the offerings between FPV and HSV are. The new Rims look remarkably like GTS rims. The old Typhoon Rims look remarkably like GTO rims. Anyone else noticed this? Are they made by the same supplier? Or is it more about the current trends and aesthetics?

marcu5 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 13-04-2023 @ 09:56 PM

Re: FPV - HSV Rims

Yeah they are getting very close i reckon.
    Just a little side note, there is a ford (93 - 95) ute getting round town here with a friggin vt clubsport front bar that has been slightly molded to fit it.. Or is there a ford front bar that looks identical to it?

chevypower is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 25-09-2015 @ 02:16 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if many of the suppliers are the same - rember VR-VS and EF-EL had the same interior lights, and I remember a friends EJ Holden shared the fins on the side of the bonnet with an old Ford, exactly the same part, different color i believe.

Aus8 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 09-03-2019 @ 09:33 AM

ROH actually make Ford rims I know that much. Do they make Holdens aswell? Theres actually a few VT's, VX's and VY's getting around with 17" BA XR MK1 rip off wheels on them, the first time I saw it I was like wtf? ROH must have added them to their core range for the public to buy and made the offset for Commodores aswell.

Cheers

Aus8

I can understand the desire to make rims that fit all types of car by the wheel manufacturers but I would have thought that the 2 performance marques would want a completely seperate identity. Maybe the public feedback in market focus groups determines the wheel types.

Washing my hands. Trying to get rid of that Diesel smell

Quote Originally Posted by Aus8
    ROH actually make Ford rims I know that much. Do they make Holdens aswell? Theres actually a few VT's, VX's and VY's getting around with 17" BA XR MK1 rip off wheels on them, the first time I saw it I was like wtf? ROH must have added them to their core range for the public to buy and made the offset for Commodores aswell.

Cheers

Aus8
    Holen rims are no longer made by ROH. They are some imported thing.

HSV rims are still ROH
    DK
    It takes 10,000 nuts to put a car together but only one to scatter ‘em all over the road

stockhorse is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 06-07-2008 @ 01:33 PM

don't forget the good old chrome 12 slotters.Is there any early model holden you haven't seen them on?

flappist is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 18-07-2019 @ 07:50 AM

FPV rims are Enki. It is not surprising that there are similarities, both products are being marked to the same userbase. Tastes change and the marketing gurus follow them otherwise we would still be driving FJ Holden and XL Falcons.....

Ghosn is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 28-09-2019 @ 09:00 PM

I tend to disagree, I don't think they look that much alike as you say? I cbfed looking for pics so going off the top of my head.

VX11SS is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 05-03-2017 @ 10:56 AM

what happened to the alloy wheel plant in NZ or OZ that Ford used to own, I thought this was a big money spinner for them as they did wheels for euro fords as well.
    Cheers jay

Here are some pics

Ghosn is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 28-09-2019 @ 09:00 PM

The new typhoon looks nothing like the GTS rims but the older one does have some similarities to the gto but still different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosn
    The new typhoon looks nothing like the GTS rims but the older one does have some similarities to the gto but still different.
    Yeah I guess that pic is pretty vague. The pics in Motor show a couple of shots that may be optical illusions. But it looks like there is a valley in the spoke towards the top. This with the thin spoke at the hub and fat at the rim - at least in design - makes them look similar. To me anyway.

Thread Information