Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hypocrisy over car adverts??

pah is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-03-2023 @ 05:08 PM

Hypocrisy over car adverts??

The ranks of the well meaning / bleeding heart / do gooder / political grand-standers jump straight on the moral outrage band wagon any time there's an advert for a performance car that emphasises the car's power.

Now what do we see on TV? 4WD adverts showing the product barging other cars out of the way!! Isn't that just as dangerous? Isn't that just the way more than a few 4WD pilots use their machines? So where are the pollies and the road safety beaurcrats with their sky is falling moral outrage this time round?

I guess the truth of the matter is that the hue and cry has less to do with road safety amd is more for political mileage. If they were consistent in their approach, they'd ban adverts showing other cars being pushed off the road too wouldn't they?

If they were truly focused on road safety, they enforce the redesign of 4WD's to lower the bonnets of 4WD's to prevent the heads of drivers in T-Boned cars splattering on the 4WD's bonnet.

I guess performance car drivers are a soft target and give good politcal mileage?

PAH
    Last edited by pah; 13-02-2006 at 09:57 PM.

BLACKWIDOW is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-07-2009 @ 10:08 PM

Re: Hypocrisy over car adverts??

Pah you have obviously never been in a School carpark at dropoff and pickup time, because that is exactly the way 4WD owners drive, they think they have the god given right to drive anywhere/park anywhere.
    and I hate to say it but women are the worst offenders

pah is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-03-2023 @ 05:08 PM

What can I say mate?

Quite recently, one of the b@ggers noticed (at the last minute - not watching the road [again]) that the school bus had propped in in front of him.

So what does the intellectual giant do? He commences to swerve into my lane . . . and sees me at the last minute. Then he swerves back behind the bus with smoke billowing out from under his guards. Don't ya love the taste of a adrenalin??

PAH

mrvs96 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 09-04-2006 @ 08:24 PM

i agree. The restrictions put on car adverts is a complete joke. Cars carnt be shown doing over a certain speed limit, carnt be doing any dangerous activities etc etc.
    were as if u go to the cadillac or chev site and view some of their adverts they are sweet

VX2VESS is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-02-2017 @ 11:37 PM

well following what the do gooders say if you show it they will do it. can't show speeding, ppl will do it, so can't show barging, ppl will do it.

its all such crap, but they need to be told to be fair on it.

on the other bit coming onto the wrong side. this is a real common problem on local roads these days. ppl seem to think because somethin is blocking their way they have the right to come past the centre and you coming the other way have to give them more room or stop. wake up, the person coming onto the wrong side has to give way. they still just do it and force you to avoid, if you don't you get a dirty look like i was first, first to do the wrong thing maybe. who cares your on the wrong side, wait.

or the ones who have no idea how wide their car is. parked car, they have to cross the centre again when there is room for 1.5 cars next to the parked car before the centre is some cases.

or my old favourite gripe. to make a simple corner with double centre lines at 50 k's (that could be take at 70k's without crossing it) they have to apex right over the doubles, even if there are oncoming cars, who then have to then put the car off balance by changing lines to miss these lazy drivers that can't be bothered to turn the steering wheel. i could do it with one hand at 70 k's and easliy make it without touching the line. i see this everyday from ethier side, some days i follow and count how many times they cross the lines, record is 12 times in 2 k's so far by some woman.
    Last edited by VX2VESS; 13-02-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Road Warrior is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 11-12-2011 @ 01:42 PM

Quote Originally Posted by pah
    The ranks of the well meaning / bleeding heart / do gooder / political grand-standers jump straight on the moral outrage band wagon any time there's an advert for a performance car that emphasises the car's power.

Now what do we see on TV? 4WD adverts showing the product barging other cars out of the way!! Isn't that just as dangerous? Isn't that just the way more than a few 4WD pilots use their machines? So where are the pollies and the road safety beaurcrats with their sky is falling moral outrage this time round?

I guess the truth of the matter is that the hue and cry has less to do with road safety amd is more for political mileage. If they were consistent in their approach, they'd ban adverts showing other cars being pushed off the road too wouldn't they?

If they were truly focused on road safety, they enforce the redesign of 4WD's to lower the bonnets of 4WD's to prevent the heads of drivers in T-Boned cars splattering on the 4WD's bonnet.

I guess performance car drivers are a soft target and give good politcal mileage?

PAH

PAH can you give me some details on where, when who by and in what format the bleeding heart/doo gooder noise was coming from regarding the issue (you have obviously seen or read something somewhere) and post back with the info. Then I will be writing a rather sternly worded letter to the originator of this so called "moral outrage".

I am going to embark on an anti-doogooder crusade this year and I need information and help to do it

Marco is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 12-07-2017 @ 05:41 PM

Road Warrior, I reckon I might join you.

The problem stems from dropkicks like Harold Scruby and his mates kicking up a fuss a few years back over ads showing people doing things in cars that he didn't like, such as having a good time. You may remember such fine ads as the 'Thunder' Holden Ute ad (ute works up a storm doing circle work in a dry paddock) or the VXII SS ad where the driver does the slalom around the kids toys in the driveway. Our mate Harold and his type thought this would encourage people to, I dunno, try to create rain with their utes or run over their children at high speed in their suburban driveways.

I've been considering writing in and complaining about every car ad there is - I'm sure I could find something wrong with all of them. Every ad from every manufacturer. It only seems to take a few wowser complains from a handful of people to achieve this, and I wonder if we would be able to make some regulators see sense if we start nitpicking over everything and making it clear just how stupid the rules are?

Merlin is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 18-07-2021 @ 11:20 AM

- RoadWarrior, first stop the Pedestrain Council of NSW (Mr Scuby)

- PAH, I agree, I dont want to get into the whole 4WD debate (it always end badly), but surely if performance car ads are not allowed then why the double standard for the 4WD ads Toyota? Isn't it the new Hilux ad which states something like "get in or get out of the way" then shows cars being blown everywhere by the Hilux?

- 4WD pet-hate of the month (well actually lots of cars are guilty to), when turning right, you do NOT have to swing left first, you are not a B-Double.

bermudablue is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 18-12-2018 @ 09:59 PM

And what do the pollies get driven to parliment in? Usually a statesman caprice with a 350 under the bonnet.

2001 ITR is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 01-03-2012 @ 09:14 PM

You missed the Toyota “bugger” ad for a commercial a few years ago (Hi-lux tray back?). The apprentice driver doesn’t set the hand brake or something and the tough as nuts Toyota goes careening across town without anyone at the wheel. It crashes through a bus stop, next to the bus stop is a woman with her child in a pusher. The Toyota misses her by about 2m.

Of course all of this was safe because a driverless car never had it’s acceleration or handling emphasised in the ad. I always felt that Toyota’s ad agency dodged a bullet with that ad. I never phoned in a complaint because I feel that there are too many “Scrubys” making nuisance bulldust complaints.

IIV8II is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 20-06-2009 @ 12:06 PM

Yes, kinda on this topic, I wish to compain about an Insurance ad currently being shown on TV in NSW. In this ad, there is graphic depiction of a head-on accident between two cars of such intensity that one of the drivers (victims) is ejected from the vehicle and is flung through the air with what appears to be horrific injuries to his arm (the arm is clearly shown to rotate completely - an obvious indication of complete dislocation of the shoulder). I feel this ad is offensive in the extreme - especially as it is being shown in morning prime time when many school-age children are bound to be watching.

Who do I complain to, to have this disturbing TV ad taken off-air?

BLQWN is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 08-05-2012 @ 10:02 PM

Maybe a bit left field, but have you seen the dickhead surfing on the bus after he has a drink of Coke Zero, what a crock of s..t.
    And all the fine print down the bottom of the telly is ok if you can read it but my kids cant read that fast.
    All the zero did for me is leave a bad taste in my mouth...kinda like the ad..
    cheers n beers

XsPwr2W8 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 14-11-2009 @ 04:09 PM

Quote Originally Posted by pah
    So where are the pollies and the road safety beaurcrats with their sky is falling moral outrage this time round?

PAH
    Out driving their new 4WD's around the city

bermudablue is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 18-12-2018 @ 09:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by XsPwr2W8
    Out driving their new 4WD's around the city
    Or they are being chauffeur driven down the road to get a carton of milk,visit
    a friend,pick up there kids,the wife doing the shopping,dozens of scenarios
    All in there 5.7's.Costing us $80000 a year each.Everyday i am reminded why i refuse to vote,never have never will

clixanup is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 26-11-2007 @ 03:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by bermudablue
    Everyday i am reminded why i refuse to vote,never have never will
    How do you get away with that? I thought the penalties for not voting included a prison sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    - 4WD pet-hate of the month (well actually lots of cars are guilty to), when turning right, you do NOT have to swing left first, you are not a B-Double.
    Everyone seems to do this. Even people driving sh1tty FWD Kias. WHY? I've lost count of the number of times I've almost cleaned someone up while travelling straight in my own lane.

Thread Information