Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Building a Kit car

LS1 Cobra is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 30-09-2015 @ 06:58 PM

Re: Building a Kit car

Buy one that someone has spent all the dough on already: Stratos

Cheers

Michael

vh-holden is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 20-04-2018 @ 01:18 AM

try and get hold of series 8, episode 7 of top gear. the three of them try to build a caterham 7.
    B43Racing
    Dirt Drifter

pagey is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 15-09-2023 @ 08:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LS1 Cobra View Post
    I've looked closely at both RF and DRB GT40's and I know people that own both cars. Personally I like the DRB over the RF car.

Both RF and DRB GT40's are a country mile awar from an original GT40.

Race Car Replicas

Cheers

Michael
    Have to agree to disagree there

Bingo on the originals.. they were rough.

Also have a DRB Cobra in the shed with an XR8 engine shoe horned in complate with A/C and heated seats (and a nice bottle of gas) The DRB cobra is just plain SHIT.. to have the drive shaft of centre by a HUGE margin (to the extent that it almost fouls on the tunnel) is just a joke.. but hey.. it will still look ok and go well.. so it'll do.

Personally - I steer people away from DRB.. they are ust down teh road.. and I have had a reasonable amount to do with them.. not impressed.. but for the $$.. they fill a niche in the market that's for sure

LS1 Cobra is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 30-09-2015 @ 06:58 PM

The DRB Cobra is a different animal. I'm talking about their GT40 replica and it shouldn't be compared with the Cobra.

I looked at all the different Cobra replicas before deciding on the one I chose. The DRB Cobra kit was ruled out pretty much straight away. The body shape is way wrong and just doesn't look right to me at all. The choice of donor mechanicals and design of the chassis doesn't do much for me either.

Cheers

Michael

German Statesman is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 15-03-2011 @ 09:05 PM

I did straight gas LPG conversions to DRBs in the mid 90s and I remember not being impressed by them. We did one to an RMC and it was definitely better.

This is the new venture by Dennis Bedford who kicked off DEB Cobras

http://www.copycatcars.com/

Not sure if they'll be as successful as the Cobras for him.

Cheers

JOHN

German Statesman is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 15-03-2011 @ 09:05 PM

Dredging up an old thread again...

Did anyone see the August-October issue of Race magazine?

On page four in the Letters section, is a drawing of a Ferrari-like kit car a bloke wanted to build, with VS-onwards V6 drivetrain and suspension.

Install one LS1

Still keen to do this...can't get it out of my head

Cheers

JOHN

crafty888 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 15-02-2008 @ 06:27 PM

....... my supercharged LS2 powered Ultima GTR....

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...965#post792965

Quote Originally Posted by crafty888 View Post
    ....... my supercharged LS2 powered Ultima GTR....

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...965#post792965
    The only thing that puts me off Ultimas is the bulbous screen and hump over the cockpit - just an aesthetics issue, but it stops me...

I finally got the LS1 in my Cobra running on the week end. I'm grinning like an idiot at the moment. I hope to have it on the road ready for Shelbyfest in April next year.

Shelbyfest is a big race meeting we have at Winton raceway for Cobras, Daytona Coupes, GT40s and Shelby Mustangs. Last year we had about 60 cars. Great to watch these cars go past at full noise on the track.

Here's a little video of starting the Cobra today. I'd already had it running a few minutes earlier, just wasn't patient enough to set up the camera for the first fire up. Besides having the camera running for the first fire up may have tempted Fate to cause a Funniest home videos moment.

Cobra Fire Up Video

Cheers

Michael

RedVYIISS is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 20-12-2008 @ 07:15 PM

well done Michael, it's a major milestone.

Good to see - well done.

diablo is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 11-11-2008 @ 04:26 PM

I'm building a 99 diablo vt with an LS2 and porsche g50 gearbox. The best advice I could give you is;
    1. You better really really want to build one.
    2. You better have a lot of free time & money, (40,000 is not nearly enough, try 100,000). No matter what anybody tells you, it is always going to cost more.
    3. There are quite a few places in AUstralia but prices are quite expensive.

If you want any specific information just post me.

I saw a '59 Vette replica with an LS2 and C5 Vette suspension - looked beautiful and it got me wondering how we'd go with the same thing in RHD.

A VT-VZ crossmember with steering rack and airbag suspension all round with a VT-VZ IRS rear end - sounds do-able.

Cheers

JOHN

Sonic_Brew is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-01-2011 @ 03:02 AM

Quote Originally Posted by WE OWN 2 GEN 3s View Post
    or my favorite replica is lamborghini murcielago with a mid mounted ls1 which a company in vic are building

STU
    Any info on this? I just found a guy in melbourne who has built/building a merci with a HSV 6L.

Would be an absolute dream to have one of these!

Sonic_Brew is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-01-2011 @ 03:02 AM

Bumpo.

Also, on the handling of kit cars: is a tube space frame chassis better than anything currently being made by production manufacturers? It seems like that type of chassis is just perfect... but most high end performance manufacturers still use a monocoque chassis.

So a kit car should kill a real lamborghini/ferrari around the bends?

Thread Information