Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Building a Kit car

iamhappy46 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-04-2014 @ 12:06 AM

Re: Building a Kit car

Yeah, CAD is a little hard to use for 3D work. It also leaves you guessing as to how the car reacts when it is no longer static(moving)

Sonic_Brew is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-01-2011 @ 03:02 AM

Are there chassis engineers/builders out there that I could start looking at to design a chassis for a kit car?

Any info appreciated.

Big_Valven is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 02-11-2016 @ 12:15 PM

Aerial Atom! Aerial Atom!

Dammit they're not kit cars. But I would like one oh-so-much...

crafty888 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 15-02-2008 @ 06:27 PM

There's a few kits out there like the Atom:

The last one is a 3 seater - driver in middle

http://www.superlitecars.com/
    http://www.mevltd.co.uk/
    http://www.sdrsportscars.co.uk/

Sonic_Brew is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-01-2011 @ 03:02 AM

I found a chassis and a kit that I want, but they are made in the USA and UK. How can I go about making sure they are ok for Australian Design Rules?

There is very limited help for building kit cars in Australia.

mac06 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 28-02-2019 @ 04:56 PM

It depends on how much you want to spend. Have a look at these. They are ADR compliant and are like the Caterham 7 kit cars. I'm sure they're available locally to you.

http://www.birkin.com.au/Component_Kits_and_Pricing.php

There was also a thread I posted some time ago about some fun driving in one. Cainer doesn't work anymore so I'll try upload it again and post here for easy reference.
    Last edited by mac06; 10-12-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mac06 View Post
    It depends on how much you want to spend. Have a look at these. They are ADR compliant and are like the Caterham 7 kit cars. I'm sure they're available locally to you.

http://www.birkin.com.au/Component_Kits_and_Pricing.php

There was also a thread I posted some time ago about some fun driving in one. Cainer doesn't work anymore so I'll try upload it again and post here for easy reference.
    I'm not after a clubman type car, so the chassis i need has to be built to suit the kit I want:

mac06 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 28-02-2019 @ 04:56 PM

Oh well, have a look at this anyway it's quite good.

iamhappy46 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-04-2014 @ 12:06 AM

Sonic Brew:
    Sorry, I was in hospital while this thread restarted.

What exactly are your goals for your own style of kit car?

Rear engine + rear wheel drive or front engine + rear wheel drive?

After a semi-civlised street car or a hill-climb/track day warrior?

Single seater or room for the missus to pick you up from the Pub?

What sort of power output are you chasing, or more specifically the power to weight ratio?

Regards,

Matt

seedyrom is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 06-06-2022 @ 09:42 PM

My old man's (in the background of this pic)

is registered as:
    Make: Homebuild
    Model: Westfield

When he passed emmissions and sound and all the rest, he went with his paper work to the RTA. They gave him a massive list he was able to register his Model as, including Lotus 7 amongst others.

He ended up choosing the option of the spaceframe designer.

Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46 View Post
    Sonic Brew:
    Sorry, I was in hospital while this thread restarted.

What exactly are your goals for your own style of kit car?

Rear engine + rear wheel drive or front engine + rear wheel drive?

After a semi-civlised street car or a hill-climb/track day warrior?

Single seater or room for the missus to pick you up from the Pub?

What sort of power output are you chasing, or more specifically the power to weight ratio?

Regards,

Matt

I want to build my own car so everything is exactly as I want it. I'll never be completely happy with a commodore sedan no matter how much I do to it, and buying an exotic is a waste of money (IMO) considering bang for buck compared to aftermarket options. I love the idea of building a car, so I may as well go all out and do it properly.

Style - I've chosen a Lamborghini LP640 body. Always loved lambo's. I have a source for all the body panels and everything I need to complete the exterior.

Being a Lambo, it is mid/rear mounted engine. No real point going for AWD so it will be rear wheel drive.

Engine will be a strong LSx with a PD supercharger - should be good for a very easy 500rwhp if I want to take it that far. That kind of engine setup should allow more than enough power with very good road manners. I want to be able to drive it daily with minimal maintenance, but it will probably only come out on weekends. There are plenty of daily driven commodores with similar setups.

Chassis - Tube space frame. I am talking to a builder at the moment that can build a great chassis to suit the body. They also have a high quality suspension system that is suited to the chassis. I would expect incredible handling ability from a tube frame chassis, and from what I have been told these chassis handle like they are on rails and would be comparable to if not better than most exotics.

Power to weight - About 500rwhp, and I'd expect the final build should weigh somewhere in the 1,300 - 1,600kgs range.

Should be a fantastic package that can cruse around town or tear around a track. Exotic looks with all the custom interior/exterior features I want to have. Low maintenance, and all done for less than the cost of a HSV W427. It will be licenced a Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV). The guys building the chassis said they can point me in the right directions to get it registered.

Beejay Cobra is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 17-09-2015 @ 06:53 PM

Sonic,

What you plan to achieve is doable, but will be a lot of work.

Make sure you use as many factory parts as possible, and it will make life easier. I am building a Cobra, and even though it is a tested chassis and standard build there is still a lot of work to do to register as an ICV.

Make sure you work closely with your engineer, and double any budget you would like to meet!

BJ

ImpulSSiVZ is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 06-07-2008 @ 01:02 AM

Check these out mate, cheap and go like hell.
    Mazda MX5 + V8 = insane fun!

http://www.youtube.com/results?q=Mon...8&search_type=

If your going to go V8, you may as well stick it in the back Plenty of room for a PD type blower as well

Knawful is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 14-07-2014 @ 10:41 AM

No-ones mentioned the Purvis Eureka.
    ...not that i saw on a brief scan of this thread (and using search)

The Purvis Eureka caused an instant sensation when it was unveiled at the Melbourne Car Show in March 1974.
    13B rotary in a 780kg Eureka = fun, so imagine it with a blown lsx

Thread Information