Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: best spark plugs and leads

Red CV8 R is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 05:53 PM

Re: best spark plugs and leads

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have been researching what are the best sparkplugs for my Heads and cam 2004 5.7 on a number of forums and get different answers. What is the current recommended sparkplugs for a hotter than stock LS1? Not worried about cost, just what works best. While the car has very low kms, the leads are from 2004, are they worth replacing too? Thanks.

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 05-10-2023 @ 11:01 AM

3rd post still rings pretty true IMO.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

I like the oem Iridium plugs albeit a little xp over the Bosch bpr's, With leads oem are great. But with my LS3 have just changed them to the thicker MSD ones.

Red CV8 R is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 05:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by white lie View Post
    3rd post still rings pretty true IMO.
    Thanks, I had a previous mechanic swear by iridium plugs and some on forums suggested this was the go. So I need these and just change them more frequently:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NGK-TR6-...AAAOSwk1VbF8Qo

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 05-10-2023 @ 11:01 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Red CV8 R View Post
    Thanks, I had a previous mechanic swear by iridium plugs and some on forums suggested this was the go. So I need these and just change them more frequently:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NGK-TR6-...AAAOSwk1VbF8Qo
    You can get the TR6IX Iridium version, I just don't like the idea of throwing them in for that long and not checking on them.
    Just be careful if you're gapping them as you can damage them very easily.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

As you say, if you keep Iridiums, pull them out clean & re gap as they last longer than the cheaper Bosch replacements.

Thanks guys, my car does very few kms so I wouldn't be leaving them in on a km basis, they get changed every few years. Although the current ones have been in there for a long time but the heads were off not that long ago so I assume they weren't seized or anything nasty. The plugs will be installed by a mechanic, not myself, I don't know if that changes things?

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Red CV8 R View Post
    The plugs will be installed by a mechanic, not myself, I don't know if that changes things?
    Yeah it does, the cost x by about 4 depending on the plugs you chose

FWIW, I am running BPR7EFS, but that is in a blown car.
    Last edited by BLACK 346; 01-07-2018 at 09:05 PM.

These would be the Iridium versions:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...acat=0&_sop=15

These NGK TR6IX versions are not commonly available. eBay may be the better option for purchase. Strangely some sites list that the TR6IX is only suitable for VZ Monaro onwards (I have a VYII), does anyone know if there are multiple versions of this plug? I can only find one plug part number, 3689.

The TR6IX is listed as their LPG plug as it's a cooler plug than what they would normally recommend on a standard motor. Their suitability, would be why you struggle to find it in auto shops as factory LPG isn't all that popular. Pretty sure the "standard" replacement should be a 5, not a 6.

So I'm guessing the actual Iridiums they would recommend for the 5.7L would be the TR5's but for some reason NGK recommend platinums on the earlier models which have a different gap.
    Last edited by white lie; 06-07-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by white lie View Post
    The TR6IX is listed as their LPG plug as it's a cooler plug than what they would normally recommend on a standard motor. Their suitability, would be why you struggle to find it in auto shops as factory LPG isn't all that popular. Pretty sure the "standard" replacement should be a 5, not a 6.

So I'm guessing the actual Iridiums they would recommend for the 5.7L would be the TR5's but for some reason NGK recommend platinums on the earlier models which have a different gap.

I didn't realise they were listing it as an LPG plug, thanks. I couldn't work out why they list the TR6IX for the VZ 5.7 and not the earlier 5.7 but the gap difference may have something to do with it.

Jason01 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-12-2019 @ 11:02 AM

NGK TR6IX, I saw over 40 000km out of a set with no drama so I can recommend them, 0.9 or 1mm gap I think from memory (whatever they come with). My local Repco usually stocks them and I know the guys there well so they hook me up with a good price fortunately.

VLSteve is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 21-02-2024 @ 11:24 PM

Typical price?

I've been using the OEM ACDELCO ones in my 6L and found the price for them is pretty good

RooVESS is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 11-01-2021 @ 10:30 PM

To give a 2021 update on a 2010 VE SS V8:
    My local legendary Holden dealer has replaced its signs with Haval signage and dealership. My VE SS 2010 manual dual fuel, (aftermarket orbital liquid injected gas system) hit 180,000 klms so I decided a plug replacement was necessary.

I priced the cost of that dealership to cahnge plugs and leads on my VE SS manual ute, in replacing the spark plugs and leads (that usually break on removal). This is a 90,000 kilometre scheduled replacement. The Haval dealer who is a GM service agent quoted the spark plugs and labour replacement $510.00 plus the cost of leads $644.00 total $1,154.00.
    I purchased Bosch leads and the same NGK sparks plugs recommended and matching those in the vehicle for a total of $280.00 The leads were $139 of this cost.
    I fitted them - which was a pain in the neck difficult task made rewarding by saving over $850 on my Saturday stealership quote.
    With another learning experience on dealerships under my belt, replaced plugs and leads with great Supercheap prices and advice (thanks Alex) it took me a much longer time than anticipated.
    Incorrect plug information in the automotive popular brand of after market manual plus the SS owner’s manual not even specifying what type of spark plug is required -added up to a total Holden dealership and product failure. Google “mechanic”, forums and YouTube were all consulted but required a discerning approach to sort through so much garbage and find that needle.

I learnt:- the leads are difficult remove and I am told that they get broken in removal from the spark plug and sure one did. There must be an easier way or tool (apart from me) to remove the plug leads? The plugs were easy to remove in terms of unscrewing them.
    The NGK iridium plugs removed were fine but the $28 each new plugs went in. Supercheap price matched an ebay plugs price as the ebay seller had a physical sales shop and was a company, so 8 plugs for $139 verses Repco’s $225. I broke one lead but they come in an 8 set. Repco’s own brand $233, Supercheap’s Bosch brand $139.
    These were much better than what replaced but I needed to use the old heat shields.
    Supercheap saved me $180 over Repco and $876 over the dealership. I did fill the swear and sweat jar by most of the savings.
    Last edited by RooVESS; 11-01-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Thread Information