Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: best spark plugs and leads

Thunder is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 03-03-2016 @ 03:43 PM

Re: best spark plugs and leads

I'll let you know when I get to 100,000km (if I still have the car) !!!

If you put the nickel anti sieze on the threads they are fine.
    The Iridiums have a needle point electrode which self cleans and eventually wears down with age.

They would be no different to the standard platinums that are supposed to be good for 80,000km. The standard plugs have a platinum ball fused to the end of the electrode, whereas the NGK Iridiums are laser welded on.

We have seen standard plugs that have lost the platinum ball after 10,000km.

I suppose it is like buying a good brand of drill bit or a cheap Asian one. They both drill holes in steel, but the Asian one you have to chuck out after 5 holes and the good one just keeps on cutting.

Cheers
    Greg

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'll let you know when I get to 100,000km (if I still have the car) !!!

If you put the nickel anti sieze on the threads they are fine.
    The Iridiums have a needle point electrode which self cleans and eventually wears down with age.

They would be no different to the standard platinums that are supposed to be good for 80,000km. The standard plugs have a platinum ball fused to the end of the electrode, whereas the NGK Iridiums are laser welded on.

We have seen standard plugs that have lost the platinum ball after 10,000km.

I suppose it is like buying a good brand of drill bit or a cheap Asian one. They both drill holes in steel, but the Asian one you have to chuck out after 5 holes and the good one just keeps on cutting.

Cheers
    Greg
    Thanks for the explanation Greg. Your wrong about the asian drill
    bits though, the one I was using yesterday wouldn't drill through
    butter

Oztrack Tuning is offline Account Frozen Last Online: 10-05-2014 @ 09:35 AM

I think the Iridiums are good - but when i changed my heads after they were in for 35000km all the end tips were missing off them and the gaps were 1.7 or more mm. The car wouldnt run with the extra compression without a miss - although it seemed fine with the stock heads and with my current cam and rockers.

Since then i have change the Brisk which claims the gain of an indexed plug (a few more hp) but they are expensive and last maybe 30000km at around $100 a set.

On the comparison device at Rocket it shows the MSD leads have almost zero resistance and i have had them on a while and they dont cause any radio interference.
    Last edited by Oztrack Tuning; 31-01-2007 at 05:00 PM.

iamhappy46 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-04-2014 @ 12:06 AM

NGK recommend changing Iridium spark plugs after around 60,000Km's. When you consider the price difference between Platinum and Iridium, the Iridium gets 75% of the 'claimed' Platinum life without the hassles of Platinum electrodes failing. Iridium also has a higher arc over voltage for a bigger fireball and hence, more power and better exhaust emissions.

Copper plugs do have a slightly higher arc over voltage(and hence more power) over Iridium but costs more once parts and labour is taken into account.

Also, never try to re-gap an Iridium spark plug.

Winbasic is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 18-11-2008 @ 09:04 PM

I've just put a set of Top Gun TG8071 leads on with a set of NGK "PZTR5A-15 7862" Laser Platinum spark plugs in after 94,000ks. I was noticing a slightly rough idle previously and after installation of these new bits its smooth as silk.

The original Denso plugs actually weren't too bad - I took one with me to Repco and said to the guy that the gap looked a little large but he said that's normal - 1.5 to 1.7mm gap.

I was surprised actually - I thought after 94,000ks they'd be flogged but the Iridiums I put in my DFI Mercury Outboard looked more flogged after 3 months than these do after 5.5 years!

iamhappy46 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-04-2014 @ 12:06 AM

A spark plug is designed to deteriorate the harder it is used. Obviously, a Mercury outboard will chew through plugs very fast as they are an extremely hi-demand ignition system engine, hence why the Mercury ign coils are deemed to be some of the best in the world.

Platinum and Iridium plugs last so long because they are designed not to deteriorate as fast as copper plugs. The Mercury outboard would be lucky to get a few hours of use before burning the tips off them.

The platinums last a long time due to them not 'looking' like the need to be changed as there is minimal deterioration of the electrode, which is why the stock plugs looked so 'clean' but if you looked at them, the continued use actually means that metal is sacrificed which increases the spark plug gap the longer they are used, which results in the mild misfire you experienced.

Either way, good to hear your new plugs are making a difference

Winbasic is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 18-11-2008 @ 09:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46 View Post
    A spark plug is designed to deteriorate the harder it is used. Obviously, a Mercury outboard will chew through plugs very fast as they are an extremely hi-demand ignition system engine, hence why the Mercury ign coils are deemed to be some of the best in the world.

Platinum and Iridium plugs last so long because they are designed not to deteriorate as fast as copper plugs. The Mercury outboard would be lucky to get a few hours of use before burning the tips off them.
    Even though the plugs I have in the Mercury are Iridiums, are the tips still likely to burn off them quickly? I was contemplating changing them every season or 100 running hours but the service guys said I'd get years out of them. Seeing how oiled up they get, I'm dubious whereas given the state of the ones out of the LS1 after that many K's, its only now they were starting to get tired.
    Last edited by Winbasic; 31-03-2007 at 08:13 PM.

evanism is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 11-09-2012 @ 11:03 AM

Re: best spark plugs and leads - LS1 HSV, warmed engine

buds, I am still more than confused here.

I just dropped $20 a plug on the NGK Laser Platinum PZTR5A-15's. Multiply by 8 and its $160.....

Threads here say they are shit (a-la 10k k's before death) and others recon they are good.

As a VX HSV owner (255kw jobbie) I don't want to put any old crap in my engine, especially since the ORIGINAL plugs gave me 102,000 km's. I'm not saying the originals are good, just that they are not CRAP, they lasted (not out yet)

I'm a bit sick to death of buying things that some other dude after me says "maaate, buy the XYZ's cos they are The Business....."

Opinions aside, WTF should I fit to a slightly warmed engine????

Lads, make me proud, cheap? NGK platinums? or the goddam Iridiums???

Ev
    Last edited by evanism; 02-02-2009 at 06:39 PM.

taztassio is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 01-09-2023 @ 09:45 PM

bosch 10mm leads are lowest resistance,

and for a blown app, u want a 7 heat range ngk.

and dont both with iridium, go the copper and just change regularly

VW Golf R32 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 02-02-2010 @ 10:10 PM

Are Bosch spark plugs any good? I hear good reports about their platinum version.

Still using my NGK Iridiums BPR6EIX-15 without a fault. 12.5psi boost with stock plug 1.5mm gap and still going strong

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

Re: best spark plugs and leads - LS1 HSV, warmed engine

Quote Originally Posted by evanism View Post
    buds, I am still more than confused here.

I just dropped $20 a plug on the NGK Laser Platinum PZTR5A-15's. Multiply by 8 and its $160.....

Threads here say they are shit (a-la 10k k's before death) and others recon they are good.

As a VX HSV owner (255kw jobbie) I don't want to put any old crap in my engine, especially since the ORIGINAL plugs gave me 102,000 km's. I'm not saying the originals are good, just that they are not CRAP, they lasted (not out yet)

I'm a bit sick to death of buying things that some other dude after me says "maaate, buy the XYZ's cos they are The Business....."

Opinions aside, WTF should I fit to a slightly warmed engine????

Lads, make me proud, cheap? NGK platinums? or the goddam Iridiums???

Ev
    Mate first things first.. Your HSV engine is nothing special. Its the same thing as any other Holden one... I have one too BTW.

Now for plugs. Take the views that the super expensive platinum or irridum plugs make any extra power with a grain of salt.
    I change my plugs every 15000k's with run of the mill NGK BPR6EF-15's. Yep they won't last as long, but big deal. Its $25 for a set and 30min of your time. Plus you know that you will always have fresh plugs. I know I'd rather be running 5000k old STD Plugs than 90000k old Platinums.

For Leads. GM OEM is very good. Low resistance, quite robust, designed for the engine and also fit the factory shields that are their for a reason unlike what alot of people believe.
    I bought a set a couple of years ago when I thought my leads were on their way out but were actually fine. As it turned out I got the newer Red GM Leads (VY+) and according to the box they have a lifetime Delco Warranty.

The after market ones are fine too, but if the originals ain't stuffed.. Save your cash.
    Last edited by macca_779; 02-02-2009 at 07:51 PM.

evanism is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 11-09-2012 @ 11:03 AM

Thanks Macca_779.

Agreed that my 255 is nothing special yet. I've had it for ever, the first owner has it for 3 months and I bought it with a whopping discount (it was still freaking new!).

Other than doing basics like fluids it hasn't been to the "shop" yet... almost have permission from the boss for a bit of an upgrade.

I do all my own maintenance and repairs.

My Q re plugs was from the perspective that I felt the originals were "OK"...i.e. nothing special. They worked as plugs should, never regapped or opened themselves up, colour is perfect, no electrical erosion......The way people go on about the iridiums and platinums make it seem like I should see all sorts of magical experiences by using them.

If, as Macca_779 points out, that logically, a $25 set every 15k is psychologically better than a $160 set lasting 80-100k, then why are not more people doing this (or are they?). His argument carries a weight by simplicity of logic, whereas all the other Marketing Fluff from other manufacturers seems all a bit unproven... or is this a case of laziness (not wanting to be under the bonnet every 6 months on top of oil changes) or is it marketing fluff?

Anyone else with a dissenting vote? What do the boys from Sams and Marrano's etc use/recommend?

blacksv869 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 31-03-2009 @ 08:51 AM

personally, don't use bosh super 4 iridium/platinum combo......they suck from my experience....15k and developed a annoying "miss" at idle, changed plugs all good

iridium are good, but im going to copper center next time.....100k just seems to long, but if it works

r8ls1 is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 28-04-2009 @ 10:22 AM

Only leads i have found to fit as well as stock ones are the MSD red 8.5mm super conductor leads. a lot less resistance than the standard leads and tougher.

plugs, only performance NGK TR5 grooved (from the USA). no platinum tips falling off.

I would get the leads and plugs from a speed shop on ls1tech.com, or ebay, so you know they are the genuine USA items.

Some people here try selling NGK grooved plugs as TR5's when they are not TR5's, they are shorter and dont enter the combustion chamber deep enough. so they make shit power. They have to be imported from the US. NGK Australia doesnt import or sell real TR5's in OZ. The TR5's and TR6's are specially made in the US for the LS1/2 motors and are exact length of the standard holden platinums. BPR6EF-15's are shorter and not for the LS1, they work, but make a good bit less power.
    Last edited by r8ls1; 04-02-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Thread Information