Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: best spark plugs and leads

SIR_SKITZ is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 25-05-2015 @ 04:12 PM

Re: best spark plugs and leads

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Broke one of my Eagle Leads whilst changing the plugs yesterday.
    Couldn't find anyone in Adelaide with a decent set of replacement
    leads at short notice, all wanted 5-10 days to get them in,
    and up to $240 for 10mm Top Gun Leads.
    Luckily, I found these on ebay, not a bad price either.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....B:EOIBSA:AU:11
    $145 is pretty good + $12 for postage, I guess it's still cheaper the most auto parts stores and it saves you fuel driving to the shop to buy them. I priced a set of std TOPGUN leads from REPCO (silly me!) at around $160!

Is there much difference between the TG 10mm and the MSD 8.5?
    $110 for the MSD against the TOPGUNS $145 would tend to lean me more toward the MSD, purely for the tight ass factor

I have had Magnecor wires on other cars and they have served me pretty well, and will be whacking a set on my VX shortly ... Always been at a stop to what plugs to use though, I think I have a pretty good idea what to get now.
    I guess with plug choice, it all comes down to try it and see, can get expensive doing it, but hey, how are you going to know if forking out half an arm for the "big gun" irridiums are going to net you better performance over the 2buck jobbies or vica versa?!!
    Last edited by SIR_SKITZ; 21-04-2009 at 09:32 PM.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 05:52 PM

Quote Originally Posted by SIR_SKITZ View Post
    $145 is pretty good + $12 for postage, I guess it's still cheaper the most auto parts stores and it saves you fuel driving to the shop to buy them. I priced a set of std TOPGUN leads from REPCO (silly me!) at around $160!

Is there much difference between the TG 10mm and the MSD 8.5?
    $110 for the MSD against the TOPGUNS $145 would tend to lean me more toward the MSD, purely for the tight ass factor

I have had Magnecor wires on other cars and they have served me pretty well, and will be whacking a set on my VX shortly ... Always been at a stop to what plugs to use though, I think I have a pretty good idea what to get now.
    I guess with plug choice, it all comes down to try it and see, can get expensive doing it, but hey, how are you going to know if forking out half an arm for the "big gun" irridiums are going to net you better performance over the 2buck jobbies or vica versa?!!
    I believe it is only the insulation that is thicker on the 10mm Top Guns,
    I figured it couldn't hurt to have the thicker ones considering they
    sit reasonably close to the headers. I am sure the 8.5 MSD's would
    be fine though.

gavlotic is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 29-10-2019 @ 04:23 AM

Hi all,

I've had a helluva time looking for bpr6ef-15, i've been to local burson, super cheap and repco.
    I managed to find bpr6ef just wondering if the spark gap needs to be reset to 1.5mm or are they fine as is?

thanks.

gav

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gavlotic View Post
    Hi all,

I've had a helluva time looking for bpr6ef-15, i've been to local burson, super cheap and repco.
    I managed to find bpr6ef just wondering if the spark gap needs to be reset to 1.5mm or are they fine as is?

thanks.

gav
    BPR6EF is obviously the same plug. Just check the gap prior to install. You should do this regardless if they are stamped a -15 or not anyway. If the gap is to tight.. Open it up a bit.

Ausmartin1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 24-08-2021 @ 08:29 PM

Not the best to rest gaps on these at all.
    Best to return and get the -15 ordered in & setup correctly out of the box.

Cheers!

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 05:52 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ausmartin1 View Post
    Not the best to rest gaps on these at all.
    Best to return and get the -15 ordered in & setup correctly out of the box.

Cheers!
    Why? I, like a lot on here, have been regapping these plugs for
    years without any issues. Look forward to your reply

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

As do I. Hell when I was learning engines as a kid my old man always told me to check plug gaps. Apparently it used to be quite common back then for plugs to be a bit out from what was advertised. I've never had any ill effect either. In fact I can't fathom how there could possibly be an ill effect as we're not talking huge changes that could distort the integrity of the metal to any noticeable degree.

Ausmartin1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 24-08-2021 @ 08:29 PM

Well it depends......
    A) If you have good skills that helps.....
    As alot of new plugs like iriduims have very small electrodes and are fragile with (some) peoples skill of regapping could cause a minute crack withouth realising, this then can result a piece of the electrode falling off, piston cylinder & valve damage may occur.

B) Are happy with the electrode legs face NOT being parallel to the tip
    (hence I like them perfect out of the box - yes I know insert comments here .....)

For a lawnmower I have no worries, but otherwise I personally like the Toyota's attitude to electical components especially like sparkplugs - if you drop it - it's binned. Makes sence it just ain't worth the risk.
    -If bad regapping methods are used it's for me like dropping it.
    Everyone has there own values on risk vs their skills is all.... so just erring on the side of caution for the average Joe.

gavlotic is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 29-10-2019 @ 04:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    BPR6EF is obviously the same plug. Just check the gap prior to install. You should do this regardless if they are stamped a -15 or not anyway. If the gap is to tight.. Open it up a bit.
    Just thought to say thanks for the clarification. I thought there was a pre-gapped version.

cheers,

gav

SIR_SKITZ is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 25-05-2015 @ 04:12 PM

Just another one to throw out there ... What would be the benefit of running a 1 heat range higher plug ... NGK BPR5xxx or should I just stick with the std spec???

Sussed out the vitals, $36 for a set for either the BPR6 or 5s.
    A wise man will have failed 1000 times, an idiot would assume its as simple as 1, 2, 3!

boyley is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 20-07-2017 @ 01:33 PM

When indexing plugs in the L98 which way do you face the open side of the plug tip?

HRT 8 is offline BIG Last Online: 25-01-2024 @ 04:20 PM

Quote Originally Posted by boyley View Post
    When indexing plugs in the L98 which way do you face the open side of the plug tip?
    IS it raining outside Boyley??? I reckon you'd be better served polishing your aircondensor lines.

boyley is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 20-07-2017 @ 01:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by HRT 8 View Post
    IS it raining outside Boyley??? I reckon you'd be better served polishing your aircondensor lines.
    You got me Grant, I think plug selection is fairly irrelevant TBH they all develop spark and burn fuel, end of.

BlownLS7 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 15-09-2016 @ 06:44 AM

mate you will find that when you come to brissy.

they dip their plugs in Bundy first LOL

when do i get that beer mate?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by boyley View Post
    You got me Grant, I think plug selection is fairly irrelevant TBH they all develop spark and burn fuel, end of.

macca33 is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 07-09-2021 @ 06:43 PM

I'm getting a set of leads made up at the moment as I'm going to re-fit the ETP heads and they need a slightly longer lead. I'll be getting the same leads that I've had for the past 60000k's. The bloke I spoke to does all the Magnecor stuff, yet says that lead failures are more to do with the heat destroying the plug boot, rather than the wire itself dying. He also told me that he could sell me the u-beaut Magnecor KV85 wire, or thicker diameter wire for a higher cost, but that it makes no difference to the performance. This advice mirrors that of the bloke (from a different company) who I bought the last set off. The 8mm leads with silicon high-temp boots will cost me $110.

cheers
    HSV Senator 300 - the Classy C4B..

C4B - ETP215s 62cc, Comp 215/223 .601/.609 @111+3, Manley 8.050" 5/16" P/R, Morel Link-bar lifters, Powerbond 25% UDP, 36lb injectors, SLP pump, Rollmaster chain, OTRCAI, T-56 - RipShift, HydraTrak 3.91:1, DiFilippo 1.75" 4-1s, twin 3" st/st cat-back, 3" metal substrate hi-flow cats. AP-Racing 6/4-pots. EFIlive COS3 SD tune.

308rwkW(413rwhp)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389253...lden-commodore

Thread Information