Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HSV Magnetic Ride Control - Good or Not??

Ryzz is offline Needs Beer!! Last Online: 07-03-2023 @ 11:02 PM

HSV Magnetic Ride Control - Good or Not??

Although a ton of people have showed off their new GTS's how much they love them, etc. No-one has really commented much on what they think of the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC). So lets hear it.

Whats it like, does it make a big difference, is it worth the extra money for the GTS on top of the R8 considering its the only mechanical difference.

I'm really interested to hear peoples thoughts and experiences here.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION ON IF THE GTS IS WORTH THE MONEY, THE LACK OF DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GTS AND THE REST OF THE HSV RANGE. THIS IS FOR DISCUSSION OF MRC ONLY

NickS is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 10-08-2021 @ 02:07 PM

Re: HSV Magnetic Ride Control - Good or Not??

Not having driven an R8 it's a bit hard to say, however ...

It rides better than any Holden I have ever driven, and that's on 20 inch wheels with low profile tyres. It handles better than any Holden I have ever driven, feels MUCH smaller than it really is.

I have driven BMW Coupes, BMW Sedans, Merc. Sedans, WRXs, hot hatches and lots of other things ... I reckon this car is more fun than all of them. The plan is to get it down to Wakefield and drag Mr FST60L along with me, then I'll be able to give you more of an idea.

So far ... I love it.
    DENY YOURSELF NOTHING !!!

OLS108 is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 04-05-2008 @ 07:48 PM

anyone care to explain how it works ?
    Cheers
    Dave

brentonsav is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 16-01-2017 @ 06:56 PM

this is how i understand mrc to work

the shocks contain fluid which is magnetic. when button is pressed on or off, the fluid has various levels of current passing through it, which then in turn changes the viscosity of the fluid and create a different feeling shock.

feel free to correct me though

NickS is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 10-08-2021 @ 02:07 PM

Close ... the system isn't on or off, it is always on. It just has different levels being Luxury, Performance & Track.

The shocks have the fluid filled with metalic particles and a current runs through the fluid, the current can be altered making the shocks firmer when needed. The track setting is always firmer. There are sensors in each shock that can adjust the settings, they read the cars steering, braking, cornering forces every 100th of a second and adjust the suspension accordingly.

e.g. you hit the brakes, the front shocks get a current through them to firm them up, this stops the nose diving under brakes and reduces braking distances. Likewise you corner hard, the outside wheels are firmed up to stop body roll, you accelerate hard and the rear shocks are firmed up to stop the back dropping and the nose pionting up.

Basically the system constantly adjusts to keep the car flat ... that's my basic understanding of it anyway.

OLS108 is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 04-05-2008 @ 07:48 PM

Quote Originally Posted by NickS View Post
    Close ... the system isn't on or off, it is always on. It just has different levels being Luxury, Performance & Track.

The shocks have the fluid filled with metalic particles and a current runs through the fluid, the current can be altered making the shocks firmer when needed. The track setting is always firmer. There are sensors in each shock that can adjust the settings, they read the cars steering, braking, cornering forces every 100th of a second and adjust the suspension accordingly.

e.g. you hit the brakes, the front shocks get a current through them to firm them up, this stops the nose diving under brakes and reduces braking distances. Likewise you corner hard, the outside wheels are firmed up to stop body roll, you accelerate hard and the rear shocks are firmed up to stop the back dropping and the nose pionting up.

Basically the system constantly adjusts to keep the car flat ... that's my basic understanding of it anyway.
    Sounds like a Great system, Thanks Nick.
    Dave

Snapper is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 31-01-2012 @ 10:52 AM

While on the MRC system. Do these shock absorbers have a life span? If so anyone know what it is? It may be a nasty surprise if they need replacing a couple of weeks out of warranty.

Just curious, because I am still buying one in April.

jaykay is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 09-04-2021 @ 12:41 PM

WTF is the Thanks button when you need it ???

Great write up Nick...

JK

AussieTone is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 03-11-2013 @ 03:31 AM

I also appreciated and understood the description in basic every day words.
    Thanks

clixanup is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 26-11-2007 @ 03:29 PM

e.g. you hit the brakes, the front shocks get a current through them to firm them up, this stops the nose diving under brakes and reduces braking distances.
    Sounds good. How effective is it? If you were to jump on the brakes hard from speed, does it still nose-dive a bit? Or is it perfectly controlled at all times?

mustanger is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-07-2020 @ 08:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    While on the MRC system. Do these shock absorbers have a life span? If so anyone know what it is? It may be a nasty surprise if they need replacing a couple of weeks out of warranty.

Just curious, because I am still buying one in April.
    They would not be cheap. Anyhow in three years it will be a good excuse to update. I can just see it now, " Sorry Dear ,I have to update because the shockers are stuffed"......He He He.

On the subject of ride, it is amazing. Just about everyone that has been in mine, comments on the ride.......Cheers John

Senator05 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 16-07-2016 @ 06:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by clixanup View Post
    Sounds good. How effective is it? If you were to jump on the brakes hard from speed, does it still nose-dive a bit? Or is it perfectly controlled at all times?
    I have only tested them once, as I don't have many opportunities to brake from speed, but on a clear main highway, I pushed the brakes hard but not 100% effort at 120 kmh and I was at a standstill before I knew it. I have to say that if there was nose-dive, it was minimal, but I was just blown away by how quickly the GTS stopped.

Track setting is really only suitable if you have a decent road, as any bumps and road irregularities can make it a bit of a bump and crash ride, particularly on crappy suburban streets. Give me a nice smooth piece of tarmac, like some of the better Adelaide Hills roads and "Track mode" is awesome.

Knight Phlier is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 28-03-2017 @ 11:57 PM

The GTS has Track and Performance.
    The Senator/Grange has Performance and Luxury.

Are the shocks different between the GTS and Senator or is it the current in the shock that allows for Luxury vs Track settings with MRC?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Phlier View Post
    The GTS has Track and Performance.
    The Senator/Grange has Performance and Luxury.

Are the shocks different between the GTS and Senator or is it the current in the shock that allows for Luxury vs Track settings with MRC?
    Spot on for the first bit ... no idea for the second bit ... good question though. I suspect it's the same shocks with different settings but I'm not sure.

I have "tested" the brakes a few times, these brakes are better than anything I have ever used, including my Harrop Ultimates (sorry Harrop). The car stays extremelly stable, doesn't move around ... just stops. I will have to do it paying particular attention to the nose ...

I have watched my wife give it a bootful away from the house ... ... and can confirm that the car stays very flat under acceleration. I have watched many others give it a bootful away from my place (you know who you are ... ) and the usual drop of the rear end isn't there on the GTS.

Veeate is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 05-03-2019 @ 04:37 PM

So how soon before MRC extends to the rest of the HSV range ?

Also wonder about suspension 'mods'. The usual route is 'better' springs, adjustable shocks , swaybays, nolethane bushes etc etc etc.

How long before suspension places bring out different 'tunes' for the MRC system ? Or how long before you can tune it yourself ? I know they have different settings at the moment (luxury , track etc) but how long before you can dial in different settings from front to rear etc ?

Thread Information