Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HSV Magnetic Ride Control - Good or Not??

mustanger is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-07-2020 @ 08:46 PM

Re: HSV Magnetic Ride Control - Good or Not??

Yes Beej, you have some valid points there, but at the end of the day you have to compromise somewhere. It is about trying to find a happy medium.

alcamie is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 25-09-2009 @ 11:01 PM

Exclamation Re: HSV Magnetic Ride Control - Good or Not/ Problems??

Hi Guy's

I've got a VE GTS man done 4k (3 Months from dealer, 09/07/2007 build plate) and from the first day I had it, it has had a very noticeable, severe enough shake/vibration/ oscilation through the steering wheel from about 85kmh upwards of 110kmh+, seems to be more prevalent when you back off the accelerator and cruise on any road surface and sometimes inconsistently pulls to the left or the right. Activating the MRC switch does change the characteristic of the shake/vibration/ oscilation but again this not consistent. I've had the car in about 6 -8 times to get this looked at by the HSV dealers service dept including sending it to Bridgestone to have the wheels and tires matched for high and low points/ Balancing/ Wheel alignment to try and correct the problem (Made no noticeable difference)..

I have always thought that it felt more like the suspension/MRC playing up as it also feels like the car sometimes wants to launch itself into another lane when it skips over potholes and seams on differing road surfaces. It feels downright dangerous at times.

The service guy's until yesterday were telling me categorically that it was a tire problem whiule I have been adament that it wasn't as all of the tire tweaks done haven't eased the vibration through the steering whatsoever. They have now tested 3 more GTS's at thier dealership and another of thier customers GTS's and have had me drive one of them and they have found that these cars have got the same problem. They the HSV dealers service team now believe that the MRC is the problem and not the tires.

As a result they are now arranging a meeting between themselves, myself and the QLD head of HSV to discuss this issue. They are telling me that HSV are saying that thats how it is however with the MRC. I don't know about you guy's but I have never driven a sports car capable of 250+kph that has steering stability issues @ 250kph's let alone 85kph and up through the range.. I have been driving standard VE loan cars whilst mine's been in the shop and they have not at all shown up with any steering vibration whatsoever.

My question is to all of you other VE GTS owners is have you experienced this same or similar issue?
    Have you experienced it or similar and been told that it's anything but the MRC giving the problem?
    Have any of you that have experienced this actually had it rectified?
    Have any of you that have experienced this still have the issue and are still waiting for a fix?

If any of the above is familiar to you and you would like me add your name to the list of complainants that I can take along to this meeting then please respond and send me you details via PM so I can build on the list.

As it stands, I fear that there could be a design flaw in the VE GTS's MRC system or MRC/Wheel/Tire combination that HSV are knowledgable of and that they don't have a fix or if they do they don't want to make it public as it would be an extremely expensive recall.

So if any of this rings a bell please PM me and also respond to this post so that others will know that they are not alone here.

Cheers

Chris

Washing my hands. Trying to get rid of that Diesel smell

Quote Originally Posted by mustanger View Post
    They would not be cheap..........

Fronts are about $1600.00 ea
    Rear are about $860.00 ea
    DK
    It takes 10,000 nuts to put a car together but only one to scatter ‘em all over the road

planetdavo is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 01-10-2014 @ 07:44 PM

There have been some noise complaints from the odd customer to do with MRC alcamie, but nothing like what you describe.
    I would be a litlle surprised if it ends up being the MRC, as the suspension design is still basically the same as a Commodore, with coil springs and wheel bearing hubs attached to knuckles and control arms. If the MRC is somehow altering it's settings on the run, it really doesn't have any real effect on the geometry or anything else that might cause a vibration. This is more likely to cause a ride that varies from harsh to soft back to harsh etc etc.
    Maybe it's just as simple as a rim that is too far out of round to be balanced properly, as the road speed you say this starts at is a classic rim or tyre balance issue start point.
    Has the car EVER had an on-car balance done, or just the regular off car type?
    Last edited by planetdavo; 20-03-2008 at 06:26 AM.

alcamie is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 25-09-2009 @ 11:01 PM

Quote Originally Posted by planetdavo View Post
    Has the car EVER had an on-car balance done, or just the regular off car type?
    Bridgestone took it to balance and match on car so they could be balance under load etc.

As I mentioned before this has not made any ioto of differrence to the vibration.

Chris.

IEVLV8 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 17-04-2012 @ 07:05 PM

i am just ondering when hsv is going to put a miniture aigbag setup in there cars sot work with the MRC

so them you can adjust the height to get up steep driveways and such

why haven't HSV put all 3 settings in each car Normal, Performance and Track i know some senator and grange drivers that would love to get them out on the track as well

skip100 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 05-08-2021 @ 10:20 AM

G'day,
    I'm a chauffeur driver looking to buy either a Caprice or Grange, and I'm very curious about the difference in ride quality over Sydney's terrible roads.

So far, the dealers have done NOTHING whatsoever to persuade me to buy the Grange, which I find a bit surprising. As soon as I ask about ride quality, they say the Grange is a LOT firmer than the Caprice. One dealer said that another chauffeur driver who did buy a Grange actually replaced his wheels with 18s, to try and improve the ride.

From reading the earlier posts in this thread, I'm beginning to wonder whether the dealers are being completely honest. If I'm not mistaken, most folks here seem to think that the MRC (in comfort mode) is very smooth. Could it be that the dealers simply don't make as much from an HSV sale as a Holden sale?

I read in a review somewhere (I forget where) that the Grange is actually at it's smoothest when the MRC is completely off - i.e - there is a third option which disables the MRC completely. Comments?

Greg.
    p.s I am mindful of the report here about the possible vibration problems with MRC.

eldan89 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 05-11-2013 @ 07:47 PM

Quote Originally Posted by IEVLV8 View Post
    why haven't HSV put all 3 settings in each car Normal, Performance and Track i know some senator and grange drivers that would love to get them out on the track as well
    That would be nice as I'm sure some GTS drivers would like a comfort mode for those long boring drives as well as a track mode for the luxury models. But I think HSV wants the cars setup for their intended market (I.E Luxury, Sport) with no crossover inbetween.

Quote Originally Posted by skip100 View Post
    I read in a review somewhere (I forget where) that the Grange is actually at it's smoothest when the MRC is completely off - i.e - there is a third option which disables the MRC completely. Comments?
    To my knowledge MRC could not be disabled. We have a VE Senator and the ride quality in comfort mode is brilliant, MRC does a great job at smoothing out bumpy roads. But when sport mode is engaged the car rides much harder and everyone in the car can feel every bump.

CarlFST60L is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 22-02-2022 @ 03:59 PM

I must have missed this tread

I guess I have to 'try' to validate an R8 purchase (Being an owner).

The suspension on the R8 is the softest most comfortable of any VE I have driven (VE SSV, VE SS, Calias, Senator, shot gun GTS). Its also much smoother than the Merc (CLK55, C200K) which I have spent alot of time in around Sydney. This best example of this smoohness in the R8 going over those big speed bumps in 50km/h residential areas (the ones in my area are pretty tame, have seen some where this test is impossible unless you have no respect for a car).

R8, 50km/h, smooth as, even 60km/h is ok, but wouldn't go any faster.
    CLK55 Merc, you try the same speed at 50km/h and you dont ever do that again because you do feel it, but 40km/h is 'ok', 30km/h is 'smooth'.
    Senator, it is smoother than the CLK for sure, but you can feel the edges of the bumps at 50, so you have to slow down another 10km/h to 40 to do it 'smoothly'. There doesn't seem to be much difference with MRC on (only tried once), maybe it knows its a bump and allows for it?

Plenty of people test drive my car and I make them hit these bumps at 50km/h, every one of them is very surprised that is just glides over them! For this reason alone I have not touched the suspension.

The other other main thing is the R8 is the first car I have been able to drift comfortably, and maintain confident controlled drifts. Its VERY easy to drive out either side window. Unfortunately the Senator or CLK55 have not offered me a drift From what I can tell, the GTS would be easier to drift but I will need Nicks keys to be sure

The GTS does certainly have the advantage with its MRC option, however, I do believe you will find that the time difference around a track would be on par, you would 100% half to be a bloody good driver to take advantage of it i.e. know how to drive perfectly on the limit.

I have spent a fair amount of time on the race track, and the R8 handles great, its VERY easy to drive, it very smooth, and heaps of fun. It does lack steering feel, and it does have to much body roll. It requires some concentration to make sure the transfer of weight is done smoothly to get the best time through a corner.

Is the MRC worth it, sure it is. And its only going to get better and better as they develop it more. I would have got a GTS, but, you then have to pay luxury car tax, so we spent the difference on making 300kwrw

skip100 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 05-08-2021 @ 10:20 AM

I'm not concerned about speed bumps - what concerns me are just the average rough Sydney roads. (typically CBD and inner suburbs - seems the further out you go, the better the road surface)

A couple of standouts that come to mind are Bellevue Road (Woollahra & Bellevue Hill), and Edinburgh Rd (Marrickville), but the problem is widespread.

My current vehicle is a Fairlane G220, and it's simply too harsh for a limousine IMHO. Over speed bumps there's no problem at all - it's the rough road surface at moderate speeds which is the problem.

Had a couple of test drives of the WM Caprice, and fortunately it seems smoother than the Fairlane - I could definitely live with it.

Greg.

CarlFST60L is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 22-02-2022 @ 03:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by skip100 View Post
    I'm not concerned about speed bumps
    I just used those bumps as an example as its easy to compare, the same goes for all bumps big and small

The only other trouble with all VE's i find is that bumps on sharp corners tend unsettle the care more than I like, even though they stay stuck to the road, just a bit hard to get use to.

Ok thanks for the info.

Greg.
    p.s (sorry for the rathole) Just on the subject of HSV salesman, a few years ago when I was just getting into the business of chauffeur driving, my experience was pretty much identical: the salesman immediately talked me out of the Grange, saying that it would be for drivers carrying only the top clientele. Bizarre.
    Maybe I just don't look like an HSV driver. Drats.

Jeffrey is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 22-03-2008 @ 01:57 PM

HI all readers and members. I purchased a new VE GTS September 2007. The vehicle has only travelled 2,000 km and has a suspension that one would describe as very noisy with clunking/banging from the rear end so frequently that 1,000 km posted on this vehicle is driving it to dealerships and test driving the car. I would like any other readers or if you can spread the word to contact me if you have a similar problem. HSV have sent an email saying this noise is standard in their vehicles with MRC which is disappointing and the comment was also made by the QLD service manager for holden. I have driven many VE GTS vehicles and none display my characteristics. I am going to pursue this matter so any feedback to me will be appreciated. There have been upgrades to the suspension but now they can not fix the noisy suspension HSV stated they will not spend any more time or parts to fix the issue and are walking away saying the noise is standard in what HSV claim as a world class performance vehicle that costs the world to buy. Please help if you can especially if you own a VE GTS. HSV is a bully who do not care about the product or performance and they think they can push their supporters and customers around.
    thanks Jeff

Thank you for your support and assistance. Jeff
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 22-03-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

FWIW, I've had a test drive of an 07 Grange. I did not hear any objectionable suspension noise at all, and I did drive over some rough roads. Also, these same roads were simply too harsh in my G220 Fairlane - not so in the Grange - the Grange was firm, but pleasant.

Off topic perhaps, but the very best thing about the Grange in my short test drive were the brakes. I'm truly astonished. Easier to bring the car to a very graceful halt than the S-Class Mercs & 7-series Beamers I have driven, yet they are still extremely powerful. I was very surprised indeed.

Greg.
    p.s The last time I felt this good driving a car was in my R33 GTSt.

clubbie is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 16-05-2019 @ 08:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    HI all readers and members. I purchased a new VE GTS September 2007. The vehicle has only travelled 2,000 km and has a suspension that one would describe as very noisy with clunking/banging from the rear end so frequently that 1,000 km posted on this vehicle is driving it to dealerships and test driving the car.
    Jeffrey..tell your HSV dealer to pull their finger out. Other members on here have posted that there is a tech bulletin on exactly the problem you have described and a fix for the problem.

Do a search. This forum is your friend.

Clubbie

BTW welcome
    Last edited by Ryzz; 26-03-2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote

Thread Information