Thread: New Torana?

LTH-00L is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 10-05-2020 @ 11:04 AM

New Torana?

Hi guys i did a quick search but couldn't find a thread with a similar topic.

The March Wheels mag has some talk about Holden working on a smaller rear wheel drive chasis as this looks to be the way for the future with fuel prices and all..
    Apparently this may well and trully be the next TORANA!!

I just wanted to find out if anyone else had heard anything more about this?

Also, what do people think? I'd love to see a modernised Torana provided the concept is the same as the original! (As light as possible, with the best possible engine. Pocket Rocket!)

Look forward to hearing your responses!

Cheers

Danv8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 26-04-2008 @ 12:15 PM

Re: New Torana?

Im all in for a new Torana although I hope it has decent leg and head room.

Mikhael is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 07-03-2008 @ 07:44 PM

I'd rather the Commodore for the size, comfort and room, the Torana would be a tad crampt.

Can everyone remember the mistake Holden made when they downsized in the late 70's because of the fuel crisis then.
    They got caught out with a smaller car than the Falcon when the market picked back up again and lost market leadership because of it.
    The Falcon became the No.1 selling car for years.
    It wasn't until Holden up-sized to the VN Commodore in 1988 that people came back to the Holden.

The Torana would be good, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the Commodore.

Holden does large RWD cars better than anyone else and now they have captured this market around the world.
    There will always be a market for large cars here and overseas, so Holden should stick to what they know best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I'd rather the Commodore for the size, comfort and room, the Torana would be a tad crampt.

Can everyone remember the mistake Holden made when they downsized in the late 70's because of the fuel crisis then.
    They got caught out with a smaller car than the Falcon when the market picked back up again and lost market leadership because of it.
    The Falcon became the No.1 selling car for years.
    It wasn't until Holden up-sized to the VN Commodore in 1988 that people came back to the Holden.

The Torana would be good, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the Commodore.

Holden does large RWD cars better than anyone else and now they have captured this market around the world.
    There will always be a market for large cars here and overseas, so Holden should stick to what they know best.
    Agreed but i doubt their thinking of discontinuing the Commodore... This is more like an alternative to a commdore. for the people that are worried about fuel, don't need a large car, but still want a rear wheel drive.

csv rulz is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-06-2023 @ 09:14 PM

I think the torana would be a good addition to the commodore lineup. It would be smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient, it would appeal to young buyers such as myself who dont have a family but would still like the practicality of a four door but dont want a big car. They could also turn the torana into a competer against the likes of the liberty gt and such. Which is an area that the current holden line up is lacking.

Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by csv rulz View Post
    I think the torana would be a good addition to the commodore lineup. It would be smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient, it would appeal to young buyers such as myself who dont have a family but would still like the practicality of a four door but dont want a big car. They could also turn the torana into a competer against the likes of the liberty gt and such. Which is an area that the current holden line up is lacking.

Just my opinion
    Again.. i agree 100%!

Hopefully there is also the option of a coupe like the L J.

Good point about the Liberty.. Also RX8 is another

Jac001 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 01-10-2022 @ 08:39 AM

What sort of numbers do the liuberty GT and RX8 sell?

Holden Man is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 11-04-2012 @ 06:56 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LTH-00L View Post
    Agreed but i doubt their thinking of discontinuing the Commodore... This is more like an alternative to a commdore. for the people that are worried about fuel, don't need a large car, but still want a rear wheel drive.
    Look at how successful the 1 series BMW has been in it's segment because it is rear wheel drive. All of it's competitors are mainly FWD.

Holden would be in the same boat if they released a rear drive Torana. Most of it's competitors (if not all of them) would be FWD.

Slip the 6.0Ltr in there and you would have a real killer !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac001 View Post
    What sort of numbers do the liuberty GT and RX8 sell?
    Not sure but i know it's nothing to brag about..

Quote Originally Posted by Holden Man View Post
    Look at how successful the 1 series BMW has been in it's segment because it is rear wheel drive. All of it's competitors are mainly FWD.

Holden would be in the same boat if they released a rear drive Torana. Most of it's competitors (if not all of them) would be FWD.

Slip the 6.0Ltr in there and you would have a real killer !!
    I'd love to see that!! LMAO i doubt it greatly though..

i'd say it'll come with a 6 with the option of a Turbo.
    Last edited by LTH-00L; 02-03-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

csv rulz is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-06-2023 @ 09:14 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LTH-00L View Post
    Not sure but i know it's nothing to brag about..

I'd love to see that!! LMAO i doubt it greatly though..

i'd say it'll come with a 6 with the option of a Turbo.
    But if you include every model in the liberty line up than sales figures wouldnt be to bad. Its other competitors would be all FWD - Mazda 6, Honda accord Euro etc.

If they added a Turbo/superchar 6 as an option - i would be very interested.

Even if the only had the alloytech 195 being RWD and light it would still crap all over its competitors.

I think holden would be on a winner if they priced it right

Quote Originally Posted by csv rulz View Post
    But if you include every model in the liberty line up than sales figures wouldnt be to bad. Its other competitors would be all FWD - Mazda 6, Honda accord Euro etc.

If they added a Turbo/superchar 6 as an option - i would be very interested.

Even if the only had the alloytech 195 being RWD and light it would still crap all over its competitors.

I think holden would be on a winner if they priced it right
    Very good points made! like you said, as long as Holden price it right.

willow is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 30-03-2011 @ 09:32 PM

Dragging up an old thread, did a quick search as well, but couldn't see if this had been posted before, but do parts of this interior of this 2004 Torrie concept look familiar??????

Ghosn is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 28-09-2019 @ 09:00 PM

Has already been discussed during the time of spy pics of the new VE.

Thread Information