Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: B43Racing VK Berlina

vh-holden is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 20-04-2018 @ 01:18 AM

Re: B43Racing VK Berlina

ten months on and time for another update! Life got busy and i reached the limits of what I could do myself. I did manage to get most of the engine accessories bolted on and hooked up some of the wiring, but discovered that the engine loom for the efi motor didn't match up with the body loom. I was completely stuck.

The car ended up outside, and behind the shed, which is probably a fair call seeing as I had essentially given up.

Fast forward to this weekend and both Danny and me were free to work on the car. My job was to find the tools and other bits that Danny needed and to hand them to him, while trying to follow what was going on.

Danny had a look at the mess of wires, and we are pretty much going to go for a rewire. He started yesterday with new battery cables and terminals. They are all nicely crimped on and have neat heatshrink on them.

As a result, power is getting to some parts of the car again! The interior light works! As does one headlight, one taillight, and the immobiliiser. Also, there is power getting to the ignition barrel and I can even kick it over on the starter!! I've only done a little kick though cos I haven't put oil in yet, as the distributer still needs to go on.

I think I have solved a problem with the fuel system. It seems that a fuel tank out of a vn-vs wagon will fit, and there happens to be a vr wagon out the back of the workshop that I can pillage, so that might get rid of the need to mount external pumps and a surge tank.

We are going to keep at it tomorrow after work. We've got some momentum up now, Danny is confident and I'm excited again!

Another huge thanks to Danny at Darwin Auto Mobile Care for his help and letting me leave a car in the yard for so long.
    B43Racing
    Dirt Drifter

vh-holden is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 20-04-2018 @ 01:18 AM

woohoo, i took it for a drive to the end of the street and back this arvo. It's got a full exhaust on it now so is a bit quieter. but it goes!!
    B43Racing
    Dirt Drifter

Well this is depressing to read!! Not much has happened with the car since that last post. A fair bit has happened with me though. I changed jobs, bought a Ford Focus and traded it in a year later for a Toyota GT86. Then I got married and have been enjoying married life.

I’ve still got the vk, although it is in a pretty sad state at the moment. I’ve got it parked at the school I work at. It had been parked out in the open near the bus shed for 3 years, and 6 months ago got moved into a fenced off compound. Two weeks ago someone decided it was a good idea to smash 5 of the windows including the rear window. It’s now wrapped in builders plastic while I find replacement glass. It will live again one day.

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 10:31 PM

Sorry to hear that mate,
    hope you get it sorted soon & it gives you some motivation to get some more fun out of the car!

Thanks, I'll get there one day. I've contemplated taking the motor out until I can find a straighter shell, but as the mechanic at work said, at least at the moment I can still roll it around.
    B43Racing
    Dirt Drifter

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 10:31 PM

There are not many left around these days to find a better shell especially without spending a heap of money.

Storage for toys can be a pain.

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2024 @ 08:47 PM

Every couple of days Without Fail!!!... on the Ring Road, driving to work I see the fully loaded semi, with at least 20 crushed cars from Pick A Part heading to Sim's Metal...

No wonder, there aren't too many older cars around these days...

The throw away slack ass society is to blame...

Thread Information