Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: B43Racing VK Berlina

BigFella is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 08-08-2016 @ 11:23 AM

Re: B43Racing VK Berlina

just love it!
    great thread indeed.

ive got a Vk sittin in the garage, i should do the same! looks like heaps of fun!

vh-holden is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 20-04-2018 @ 01:18 AM

The vk has now survived 4 drag meets, 3 this year. Still doing 18.4-18.6 at 71-72mph. There was a huge a turnout last night and i was running late so only got 3 passes. Did some burnouts, but not as big as the previous meet.

The car and I were also awarded the Beat the Heat On Track Trophy for the year. They award it each year to someone who upholds the values of beat the heat and drag racing. I'm still a bit overawed at getting it this year as I go there as chaplain and race because i enjoy it and love hanging out with the people there. I suppose that probably is what the award is about though, keeping it off the street and keeing it on the track!!

Thanks again to Darwin Auto Mobile care and Bazz's towing service!!!
    B43Racing
    Dirt Drifter

vh-holden is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 20-04-2018 @ 01:18 AM

just did a tarmac motorkhana in the vk. i think it might be dying. wouldn't rev past 3000 and would splutter at full throttle.

bring on the new motor.
    B43Racing
    Dirt Drifter

Started to paint the wagon today.

mmmm, satin
    [/quote]

going for the satin black look, probably with gloss black gt stripes up the bonnet and roof.

Time for another update

Got a new motor for it. Injected 202. Cleaning it up so it looks good for when i take it to the pits for rego.

The new old motor.

My cousin is up for the next few days so I put the side and rocker covers back on. Only a loose fit at the moment cos there is a bracket that goes on the side plate and i can't remember where it goes. there are 6 holes to choose from. I realised that the rocker cover bolts looked horrid compared to everything else, so gave them a quick spray with black, but they weren't dry before i left.

RARASV8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 26-05-2020 @ 07:51 PM

i was doing my apprenticeship when these motors where going in the VK's! and the funny thing is, i never saw one any other time but in your pics! should get it up and going a bit better! arrh the memerys holden sixes and V8's in plant 10 @ fishermans bend

Garry
    1st LS1.com skidpan 17 DEC arvo 2006
    Winner LS1 bolt ons BAW BAW 5/09
    r up lsx tru street 2010

Big_Valven is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 02-11-2016 @ 12:15 PM

Wicked work. The writeups are piss funny too

I'm taking the "spray it black and call it reconditioned" approach

It was running before it was pulled out of another vk. It did a big burnout the night before and then started straight away the next morning when i was there. It also has the warranty tag on the back of the head which falls off if it is overheated, so that is positive sign.

The valvetrain is very black, but we will run a 50-50 mix of oil and diesel to clean it out before driving it anywhere.

A big thanks again to the guys are Darwin Auto Mobile Care for letting me use their workshop, tools and knowledge.

The power went from 86kw to 109kw with the injection when they were first introduced.
    Last edited by vh-holden; 01-07-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    B43Racing
    Dirt Drifter

A^K^T is online now Forum Contributor Last Online: 29-03-2024 @ 06:16 PM

There's some useful information here on the VK efi setup .

Hrmmm. After reading that site, I think I have a carby motor that has had the EFI gear fitted. I noticed that there were flecks of blue paint coming through when i was cleaning it up. I reckon the engine reconditioning mob that did the motor years before i got i has rebuilt a blue motor, painted it black and whacked the EFI gear on it. As long as it pulls a good burnout, i don't care
    B43Racing
    Dirt Drifter

Finally got enough of a break in the breeze to spray primer and then some gloss black. It's fairly rough cos the paint underneath is pretty yuck, but it's not a show car, and i don't really want to strip all the paint off it. Hopefully once the engine is back in it will hide it a bit. I will probably have to redo the panel across the front of the bay though. The paint underneath had lots of cracks in it, which i didn't notice in white and primer, but the black brings them out big time. If only i was running an OTRCAI to hide it!!

B43Racing
    Dirt Drifter

School holidays again so more time to work on the car instead of working at my job!

Pretty much have done a bottom end rebuild and cam. New main and rod bearings. Didn't get the crank machined, just gave it a hand linish.

I left ordering the cam to Danny, who owns Darwin Auto Mobile Care. They've been a great help so far with the car, and I had no idea what to get! I think it is the standard Crow Cams replacement for the EFI 6.

One of the guys at the workshop had a vk and pulled the 6 out of it. It apparently has a decent stall convertor. The only problem was that it had been welded to the flex plate because the bolt holes in the flex plate had stretched. He cut it off for me a few months back, and today Danny and me finally had a look at it. We drilled out the welded in bolts, and fitted helicoils. Danny welded a nut on where we had cut the old one off. I cut the bolts to size and test fitted it all together.

I also put the sump and timing cover back on and flipped the motor back upright on the stand. Hopefully will put it in tomorrow arvo.

here are some pictures.

This shows how dirty the rockers were. They are clean now, but i forgot to take a photo.

Fitting the new bearings.

The main caps were also as dirty as the rockers, and are now this clean.

Time for a rest (for me)

Sump back on and turned the right way round

He was chilling under the workbench

Stall convertor

Nut welded on

OUTAtheBloo is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 29-09-2023 @ 06:42 PM

I bet your getting some great satisfaction out of doing alot of the work yourself !

Good onya mate

Dan
    "There's Always Someone Faster"

Tecca is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 24-01-2012 @ 04:45 PM

Very cool thread mate! it's always fun blowing shit up and then rebuilding it aye? keep up the good work.

PS: when will the VK get an Ls1 transplant?

Quote Originally Posted by Tecca View Post

PS: when will the VK get an Ls1 transplant?
    I reckon by the time i am in a position to put an LS1 in, the LS1 will be very old technology!

that said, if i could get one with an auto for a good price, i'd do it sooner.

I got an invoice for the parts i've ordered through the workshop (cam, bearings, various gaskets) and it is a bit over $600. The motor was $200. I still need to get the fuel system worked out, but hopefully the whole lot should come in just over $1000.

I also need to get a new windscreen so i can register it. I've already got the pressure packs of paint.

I spent a bit over a $1000 on it last year getting the steering fixed.

By the end of it, I think i'll have spent almost $3000 including the car (freebie) and will have a car that i can cruise and race.

Do i really want to think about the cost though, or just go and skid it?

I'd hate to add in the labour costs. They've looked after me well at Darwin Auto Mobile Care!!

Thread Information