Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: VE SS-V GEN4 Engine OIL- Which is best?!

Blown 454 AWD is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-01-2019 @ 01:40 PM

Re: VE SS-V GEN4 Engine OIL- Which is best?!

Quote Originally Posted by Deanss-v View Post
    instead of starting a new tread I'll ask here.
    I see you can get all the oils for a ve know except the diff. They say its filled for life, which it wont be for me but they recommended castrol saf carbon mod or carbon mod plus for top up only. What the hell, castrol don't even mention such oil on there web site and i don't know were i can get it. The only oil i can find is from penrite which they say can be used in the ve diff. (sin gear oil 80)

Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w140 available in 2 litres for Holden diffs @ $69.51 per litre + gst = $152.92 plus freight.

Filtergram to check @ 5 years.

Cheers

Steve

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 450 kW Adventra View Post
    Years ago I would've said,"there must be a difference we don't think it would be that great though".

However, now after the introduction of Filtergram I would say there is a definite difference.

A couple of years ago I changed the Maritimo (twins) 8.2 litre V12 N/A 1050 hp @ 8600 rpm on pump gas Lambo's from the 10w60 Synthetic to the 20w50 mineral as they only run 3 to 4 hours between oil changes, the oil is hardly rooted so I thought we'd save a few bucks, the bloody wear metals went through the roof and doubled and when your race motors worth a "couple a hundred" the cost of the oil doesn't matter a fuk.

It makes a difference worth cashing in on on a standard engine, it makes a fuking huge difference to a modified engine as your load literally doubles per square inch per bearing area so you need a lubricant that's at least twice the protection (film strength) to keep the engine from eating it's self.

So next change slip back to the 10w60. (yes with SM as there are advantages in wear and cleanliness)

Cheers

Steve
    Excellent explanation thanks Steve! Will certainly do so in about 5,500 more kms.

BruceSS is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 27-10-2018 @ 07:01 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 450 kW Adventra View Post
    Good question Wonky.

(yes with SM as there are advantages in wear and cleanliness)

Cheers

Steve

Does SM have advantages over SL in terms of friction and cleaning additives?
    And when you say about flushing with cheap oil, is 5L enough in the 8.3L sump on the VE?

Any thoughts on Fuchs synthetic?

Thanks
    Bruce

AussieTone is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 03-11-2013 @ 03:31 AM

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSS View Post
    I have only used Fuchs synthetic in my last 3 x LS powered cars. I have no complaints and find it to be a very reasonably priced quality oil. I will be putting it into the Ute at the 3000km service.

http://http://www.fuchs.com.au/home.asp
    Tony

Deanss-v is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 14-04-2012 @ 01:10 PM

Just been having a slow day so was looking at oils again and came across some videos.
    For the Castrol Edge fans,
    YouTube - Castrol Edge Oil Heat Test

YouTube - Castrol Edge Oil cold temperature testing

A older Castrol add, mmmmm engine torture.
    YouTube - Sickest Torture Test

And for the Royal purple fan club,

YouTube - Royal Purple Synthetic Oil Explained V8TV

And for the people that dream
    YouTube - The Worlds 1st Ultra Synthetic Motor Oil
    100000 miles on one oil change, well if your stupid or game enough.

Well that should confuse some more people on what oil to use.

Blown 454 AWD is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-01-2019 @ 01:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSS View Post
    Does SM have advantages over SL in terms of friction and cleaning additives?
    And when you say about flushing with cheap oil, is 5L enough in the 8.3L sump on the VE?

Thanks
    Bruce

Yes SM has advantages over SL in both areas.

Yes 5 Litres will do fine, just make sure you pick up oil pressure on start up.

Haven't had any experience with Fuchs.

Cheers

Steve

jonnyd1986 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 21-12-2014 @ 10:51 PM

On the last service, from Holden, I got them to put in Red Line's SAE 10W40 in my VE SS-V (Recommended by Red Line). It feels smother thoughout the rev range and more torquey and there is no lifter noise on startup compared to the Penrite's SIN oil (Having not been driven for a week in between with both oils.). The oil pressure metre reads 1 more under load and idling then the Penrite's SIN oil. I think it reads 3 idling and 4 under load.

I also had the diff oil changed to a Red Line product (No problem with warranty). I wanted to put the Red Line Super Light Shock Proof Oil (Yellow) in my manual gearbox but Holden said it might void my warranty so haven’t done it yet (Also recommend by Red Line)

What are people's thoughts? I think ill just put it in.

Jon

Mick66 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 26-07-2016 @ 04:08 PM

G'Day jonnyd, Looking at doing the gearbox and diff oils in the VE too. What redline product did you use in your diff?

HEXEM is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 17-08-2013 @ 04:35 PM

I have noticed the new 2008 V8 range VEs have the recommended Oil Viscosity stamped into the engine oil cap (I am not sure when holden started placing this on the oil cap). The new recommendation is 5w30. I have spoken to Holden Assistance and they have refered my query to Holden TAS for comment as to whether older VE V8s need to change their oil viscosity from 10w30 to the new 5w30. They said they will get back to me within 24hrs.

If this is the case you might want to check with your servicing dealer what oil (at 5w30) they are putting in it and what the cost will be. I know some dealers are charging $18 per ltr for Castrol Edge Sport 5w30. This may impact the cost of your service (you might like to supply your own oil). BTW castrol edge 5w30 sells for around $51 during off sales times and $40 during sale times at Supercheap Auto...

CalaisRider is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 10-06-2014 @ 06:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by VE-SSV View Post
    I have noticed the new 2008 V8 range VEs have the recommended Oil Viscosity stamped into the engine oil cap (I am not sure when holden started placing this on the oil cap). The new recommendation is 5w30. I have spoken to Holden Assistance and they have refered my query to Holden TAS for comment as to whether older VE V8s need to change their oil viscosity from 10w30 to the new 5w30. They said they will get back to me within 24hrs.

If this is the case you might want to check with your servicing dealer what oil (at 5w30) they are putting in it and what the cost will be. I know some dealers are charging $18 per ltr for Castrol Edge Sport 5w30. This may impact the cost of your service (you might like to supply your own oil). BTW castrol edge 5w30 sells for around $51 during off sales times and $40 during sale times at Supercheap Auto...

Umm, not an expert but can going 20/50 or 20/60 do any damage to the L98, given Holden's recommendation abovementioned. I run mine hard lots and currently use 20/60 Castrol Edge but am considering changing to Royal Purple Racing Oil 51 in 20/50 weight.

Last week I had a Holden service and imho the light weight oil is noticably noisier in the valve train department.

HYMEY is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 27-11-2021 @ 06:20 AM

I was reading the Penzoil 25w50 SG rated oils have the highest ratings of zddp. And that the road legal SJ in US has lower amounts. Nothing wrong with a SG oil.

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wondering what people's opinions are (especially Steve if he sees it) on Castrol Edge 0w40 compared to Edge 10w60? I was talking to someone who went from the Edge 10w60 to Edge 0w40 and feels the motor seems to rev a little more freely which seemed to be borne out on the dyno when he picked up 3 or 4 kw.

Given my limited knowledge of oils I can sort of see how that could happen, but what about the relative protection qualities of each comparatively?

holdenfreak is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 09-07-2010 @ 05:42 PM

Once again, another vote for Castrol 10-60, have used it in the last 3 services, with a flush at each interval, no problems to report.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wondering what people's opinions are (especially Steve if he sees it) on Castrol Edge 0w40 compared to Edge 10w60? I was talking to someone who went from the Edge 10w60 to Edge 0w40 and feels the motor seems to rev a little more freely which seemed to be borne out on the dyno when he picked up 3 or 4 kw.

Given my limited knowledge of oils I can sort of see how that could happen, but what about the relative protection qualities of each comparatively?

Wonky

I believe it would be the most expensive 3 to 4 kW he's ever picked up when it come to longevity with his motor.

Would've loved to Filtergram both oils at 5000 klms, I'd cure everyone of "running the gauntlet" forever

Cheers

Steve

A manufactures job is to supply you with a component and guide you how to
    service it so lasts long enough for you to be happy with the money you spent.

Mainlube's job is to try and make that component last twice as long or in most cases, longer.

Mainlube Superior Maintenance Lubricants Pty Ltd
    Mainlube 175 Synthetic Race Oil SAE 10w60 (engine)
    Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w90 (gearbox)
    Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w140 (diff)

www.Mainlube.com.au

Alex(AUS) is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 06-09-2022 @ 06:45 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Wonky View Post

Gary,

I have tried 0-40 in my previous car (I currently use 10-60 in the Senator). You can definately feel the difference with 0-40 without any doubt. It certainly feels like more than 4rwkw ... I really doubt you could feel 4rwkw. Also, Castrol openly advertise their 0-40 as their very best oil. However, what Steve is saying is also true ...

Alex

Thread Information