Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23

Thread: VE SS-V GEN4 Engine OIL- Which is best?!

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Re: VE SS-V GEN4 Engine OIL- Which is best?!

Quote Originally Posted by disorganise01 View Post
    Fair enough. But what about the dealership bit. Obviously I'll want to maintain warranty so the servicing needs to be by the book (additional oil changes aside) so will the std oil be ok in the car for a day or two until I could replace it? Or do synthetic and mineral not play nice?
    You can have your own mechanic change your oils & still have your preferred dealer do any other works/warranty work.
    Our Cal V sportswagon has had 8 oil changes in 36K plus stealership services every 15K.

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 05-10-2023 @ 11:01 AM

Fair enough. But what about the dealership bit. Obviously I'll want to maintain warranty so the servicing needs to be by the book (additional oil changes aside) so will the std oil be ok in the car for a day or two until I could replace it? Or do synthetic and mineral not play nice?
    You shouldn't mix mineral and synthetic. But just because it's a cheaper oil doesn't mean it's mineral.

You can also supply drums of your own oil and tell them to use that. They should in turn take off the cost of the oil from your servicing cost. Well, any decent mechanic would, not sure about a stealership.
    Seems pretty wasteful to get them to put new oil in and then drop it when you get home.

disorganise01 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 13-09-2015 @ 04:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    You can have your own mechanic change your oils & still have your preferred dealer do any other works/warranty work.
    Thanks. As I said before I don't have a mechanic. So was planning to drop the oil myself.

disorganise01 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 13-09-2015 @ 04:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by white lie View Post

You can also supply drums of your own oil and tell them to use that. They should in turn take off the cost of the oil from your servicing cost. Well, any decent mechanic would, not sure about a stealership.
    Seems pretty wasteful to get them to put new oil in and then drop it when you get home.
    Ok. 2 questions pop to mind: how do you verify they actually put your supplied oil in? I've read places where the lads in back toss up who takes home the expensive customer suppled oil whilst filling the car with the regular stuff. How would you know?

And 2) if the book says 10w30 and you supply 10w60 then aren't you opening the door for arguments if a warranty issue arises?

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 05-10-2023 @ 11:01 AM

Ok. 2 questions pop to mind: how do you verify they actually put your supplied oil in? I've read places where the lads in back toss up who takes home the expensive customer suppled oil whilst filling the car with the regular stuff. How would you know?

And 2) if the book says 10w30 and you supply 10w60 then aren't you opening the door for arguments if a warranty issue arises?
    That comes down to trusting your mechanic. If you can't trust them to put your oil in, they shouldn't be working on your car as far as I'm concerned.

I can't say they'd stamp what oil they put in to the book. Perhaps on a receipt but in the book it will just have the box ticked that the oil was changed. That will be enough for any warranty issues surely?

May I ask why you have to get the car serviced at the dealers?

That comes down to trusting your mechanic.

May I ask why you have to get the car serviced at the dealers?
    Well I don't have a mechanic or go to guy.
    I assumed you had to stick with the dealer for warranty on a new car? I don't get the car till December though so not read the book.

You can get the log book services done at any registered mechanic. As long as the book is stamped, there should not be an issue with warranty.

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

Well I don't have a mechanic or go to guy.
    I assumed you had to stick with the dealer for warranty on a new car? I don't get the car till December though so not read the book.
    As white lie said, for factory warranty you only need to have it done by a qualified mechanic.

Many dealers offer extended warranties and those are typically a different kettle of fish, requiring your car to always be serviced by them, or at least another dealer who services that brand.

Such warranties vary and many are of dubious value, designed to just get wood ducks to keep having their vehicle serviced there rather than at their own mechanic.

Woodchukka is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 29-05-2019 @ 02:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
    As white lie said, for factory warranty you only need to have it done by a qualified mechanic.

Many dealers offer extended warranties and those are typically a different kettle of fish, requiring your car to always be serviced by them, or at least another dealer who services that brand.

Such warranties vary and many are of dubious value, designed to just get wood ducks to keep having their vehicle serviced there rather than at their own mechanic.
    Had extended warranty on wife's VZ. Not that a lot went wrong but anything that did was not covered. The extended warranty's are not worth 2 knobs of goat s#!t if you ask me. I'll never bother maintaining one if it is ever "offered" on a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodchukka View Post
    Had extended warranty on wife's VZ. Not that a lot went wrong but anything that did was not covered. The extended warranty's are not worth 2 knobs of goat s#!t if you ask me. I'll never bother maintaining one if it is ever "offered" on a car.
    I reckon the stuff that does get covered you would have paid for anyway in the higher servicing costs over the years.

Woodchukka is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 29-05-2019 @ 02:24 PM

I reckon the stuff that does get covered you would have paid for anyway in the higher servicing costs over the years.
    It is the add on's to the service that you have to watch. They did a power steer flush and an injector clean. Can't remember the exact cost of both now but I near fell over. I recall the injector clean was about $90 odd.

The power steer flush I can handle as it would have been unlikely to have ever been changed however the injector clean... I called and asked if they removed the injectors and cleaned them and was told that they hooked the car to a separate tank with a "cleaning fluid" and ran the car. I said to the bloke so I could have put a bottle of injector clean in the tank and done the same thing for far less money. There was no way to prove that they did any such thing as the car ran no differently.

After that I asked the wife not to approve work other than the service unless they called me and I gave them the go ahead as they basically took advantage of her not knowing better.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Woodchukka View Post
    It is the add on's to the service that you have to watch. They did a power steer flush and an injector clean. Can't remember the exact cost of both now but I near fell over. I recall the injector clean was about $90 odd.

The power steer flush I can handle as it would have been unlikely to have ever been changed however the injector clean... I called and asked if they removed the injectors and cleaned them and was told that they hooked the car to a separate tank with a "cleaning fluid" and ran the car. I said to the bloke so I could have put a bottle of injector clean in the tank and done the same thing for far less money. There was no way to prove that they did any such thing as the car ran no differently.

After that I asked the wife not to approve work other than the service unless they called me and I gave them the go ahead as they basically took advantage of her not knowing better.
    That's what those bastards prey on..you send the missus in & she just says yeah whatever. We all know the work doesn't actually get carried out!

Thread Information