Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: VE SS-V GEN4 Engine OIL- Which is best?!

Francis knight0 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 24-01-2015 @ 10:43 PM

Re: VE SS-V GEN4 Engine OIL- Which is best?!

I found Penrite HPR5 to give better high temp pressure.

HEXEM is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 17-08-2013 @ 04:35 PM

Just curious,

Who out there is using the Mobil1 5w50 in there L98 SS or LS2/3 HSV?

I know a couple of people using it. Like to get some feedback if I could.. Some of the other threads only talk about it in a GEN3 engine.

Cheers People,,,..

ttrevs1 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 31-05-2013 @ 01:42 PM

I noticed nobody posted this up yet
    Engine Oil Tests * - Motorswaps

a very good comparo of oils and quite supprizing,

Regards
    Trev

Alister is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2019 @ 09:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ttrevs1 View Post
    I noticed nobody posted this up yet
    http://www.motorswaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=432

a very good comparo of oils and quite supprizing,

Regards
    Trev
    Can't believe people are still linking that article...
    Look here, the editor got shut down on their testing machine and methods.

http://forums.noria.com/eve/forums/a...5/m/8381065241

The machine used for the test is meant to test grease, not oil.

ttrevs1 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 31-05-2013 @ 01:42 PM

Why dont ppl go here then to ask about oils hehe,

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I dont believe there is a better forum in which to discuss oils

Trev

P.s the reply in which u linked to was answered by a redline rep , read into that what you will

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    Can't believe people are still linking that article...
    Look here, the editor got shut down on their testing machine and methods.

http://forums.noria.com/eve/forums/a...5/m/8381065241

The machine used for the test is meant to test grease, not oil.

Alister is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2019 @ 09:57 PM

SC did admit in a later issue they testing method was critically flawed so I wouldn't be too concerned with the results. Interesting testing method though.

Francis knight0 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 24-01-2015 @ 10:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by fastestls2 View Post
    what your thoughts on vavoline 25w 60
    Just thought you might be interested to know. I once spoke with an engine builder at one of the Holden V8 supercar teams. They use this oil and their cams come out with less ware then the team using mobil 1.

Does anyone have any things to say about:

Caltex Havoline oil

Valvoline Syn oil

dawkinsdisciple is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 03-02-2014 @ 11:18 PM

BIT OFF TOPIC... GOING TO DO AN OIL change in the SSV, saw the bash plate, scared off, how hard is it?
    easy step guide anyone?

Quinn is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 24-01-2014 @ 10:49 PM

Hey i just bought some valvoline 5w40 from supercheap 20 bucks cheaper than normal seemed like a good deal. Any of you guys use it? any associated problems with it? Thanks guys.

Blown 454 AWD is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-01-2019 @ 01:40 PM

When running a 20w50 in a race engines in race conditions (1000 hp Lambo's) our own R & D in house testing Filtergram has shown a 10w60 has a dramatic reduction in metal production. (less touch)

This means less metal circulating with the oil flow, hence less damage to the engine via erosion.

Cheers

Steve

Quinn is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 24-01-2014 @ 10:49 PM

So go get a refund on the syn power and get 10w60 edge, i've just been using 10w40 magnatec every 7,500 but think its time to use full synthetic.

Blown 454 AWD is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-01-2019 @ 01:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by dawkinsdisciple View Post
    BIT OFF TOPIC... GOING TO DO AN OIL change in the SSV, saw the bash plate, scared off, how hard is it?
    easy step guide anyone?

Instructions in the Mainlube Forum area in the HOW TO FLUSH post

Cheers

Steve

TTR308 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 15-02-2016 @ 04:47 PM

Hi guys,
    I have a VE SS '06, and have owned it since new. One year ago I decided to use Mobile 1. I have always used the oil the dealership use (???? - some form of castrol). After using the Mobil I didn't know what all the fuss was about. So, next oil change I was recommended to use a semi-synthetic or go full synthetic but a slightly cheaper version. I had Castrol Edge Sport 5w 30 go in. Let me tell you guys..... DON'T USE IT !!!

My car sounded like someone had dropped a bag of marbles in engine upon cold start-up.

I initially thought that a pulley bearing had collapsed but it was too coincidental to happen when it did. Cold morning starts sounded like a diesel engine. So I decided to search the net for a solution. Thanks to this forum and based on 'Steve's' advice, my car went in for an oil change - Castrol Edge Sport 10w 60.
    Guess what....... yep, NO MORE CLUNKING NOISE ON COLD STARTS.

Thanks to all, especially Steve. Next oil change might well be Mainlube.

Now for a question....
    Should I also use an addative like Nulon as a security measure incase damage has been done???
    The car goes great to be honest with no faults whatsoever since new......."touch wood".

Cheers boys
    Tony

VX2VESS is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-02-2017 @ 11:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by TTR308 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a VE SS '06, and have owned it since new. One year ago I decided to use Mobile 1. I have always used the oil the dealership use (???? - some form of castrol). After using the Mobil I didn't know what all the fuss was about. So, next oil change I was recommended to use a semi-synthetic or go full synthetic but a slightly cheaper version. I had Castrol Edge Sport 5w 30 go in. Let me tell you guys..... DON'T USE IT !!!

My car sounded like someone had dropped a bag of marbles in engine upon cold start-up.

I initially thought that a pulley bearing had collapsed but it was too coincidental to happen when it did. Cold morning starts sounded like a diesel engine. So I decided to search the net for a solution. Thanks to this forum and based on 'Steve's' advice, my car went in for an oil change - Castrol Edge Sport 10w 60.

Now for a question....
    Should I also use an addative like Nulon as a security measure incase damage has been done???
    The car goes great to be honest with no faults whatsoever since new......."touch wood".

Cheers boys
    Tony
    i'd check your oil pressure must be on the low side 5 /30 isn't much thinner than stock oil 10/30. Thin oil will drop your pressure further if low
    When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Quote Originally Posted by TTR308 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a VE SS '06, and have owned it since new. One year ago I decided to use Mobile 1. I have always used the oil the dealership use (???? - some form of Castrol). After using the Mobil I didn't know what all the fuss was about. So, next oil change I was recommended to use a semi-synthetic or go full synthetic but a slightly cheaper version. I had Castrol Edge Sport 5w 30 go in. Let me tell you guys..... DON'T USE IT !!!

Now for a question....
    Should I also use an additive like Nulon as a security measure in case damage has been done???

Cheers boys
    Tony

Tony

Good to see you're using the correct protection for a big engine.

If you'd damaged you engine significantly enough to worry I believe you would see symptoms so all is good.

One should be cautious when adding extra additives to a 10w60, if the additive is worth having it should have a bucket of V.I. in it.

An additive with high V.I., when added to a 10w60 would usually end up as a 20w70, not something I would run unless I was racing a big purpose built engine with huge race clearances.

So you're doing fine now.

Cheers

Steve

Thread Information