Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 GSX-R1000/R World Media Launch at Phillip Island This week...

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

Re: 2017 GSX-R1000/R World Media Launch at Phillip Island This week...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason01 View Post
    You mean the Honda's of John McGuiness and Guy Martin don't you .
    Honda's will probably fly by too lol. I hope guy does well. Certainly my favourite rider in the paddock

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2024 @ 08:47 PM

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    Yeah I saw that he's downgraded! Be kicking himself at the Isle of Man this year when the BMW's fly by at Sulby lol ;P
    Josh Waters 2017 GSX-R1000R Top Speed at the opening ASBK races this weekend was clocked at 299km/h down the main straight at Phillip Island during the race, compared to only 282km/h of the winning P1 rider...

It Definitively Ain't Lacking Grunt, that's for sure......

Lots of potential there, once they setup the bike, and race parts become available which there still waiting on, and dialed it in...

Latest pics of 2017 GSX-R1000 at the ASBK from PTR (Phil Tainton Racing which is doing all the setup, development and Spanner'ing of the bike)...

One of the races he started 7th, made it to 2nd, then the race was red flagged, restarted race with a couple laps to go from 2nd and finished in 5th...

Quote direct from PTR on GSX-R1000 of Josh Waters @ ASBK weekend below...

"What a great start for the new GSX-R 1000 at Phillip Island this weekend. Due to limited parts this bike is almost a road bike with standard suspension, this makes the effort of Josh Waters fantastic with two finishes in fifth position and the DNF caused by hole in radiator. A great debut for the brand new GSX-R 1000, improvement will come very fast as parts become available"

LSX-438 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 24-02-2020 @ 04:29 PM

awesome. we have a K8 in a race car-- probably stupid question but would there be any chance to acquire a R1000R engine?

Quote Originally Posted by LSX-438 View Post
    awesome. we have a K8 in a race car-- probably stupid question but would there be any chance to acquire a R1000R engine?
    Pricing still hasn't been released in Australia yet, be mid to late 2017 before you can even buy a brand new bike, and supply is very tight as everybody wants one, being all new everything...

Even US dealers are only getting a very small allocation, when they finally arrive.

So you have zero chance of getting a 2017 GSX-R1000/R motor this year, unless you fork out the Rumored $23K for the base model or $26K for the R model later in the year...

OR buy a brand new run out 2016 GSX-R1000 for only $15990 ride away...

LSX-438 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 24-02-2020 @ 04:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by SASLS1 View Post
    Pricing still hasn't been released in Australia yet, be mid to late 2017 before you can even buy a brand new bike, and supply is very tight as everybody wants one, being all new everything...

Even US dealers are only getting a very small allocation, when they finally arrive.

So you have zero chance of getting a 2017 GSX-R1000/R motor this year, unless you fork out the Rumored $23K for the base model or $26K for the R model later in the year...

OR buy a brand new run out 2016 GSX-R1000 for only $15990 ride away...
    makes sense, thought that would be the case. Thanks for the reply

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

$26k for a gixxer!! Why would you buy this over an S1000 again? Be like buying an SS for C63 money 😲
    Last edited by macca_779; 28-02-2017 at 11:28 AM.

$26k for a gixxer!! Why would you buy this over an S1000 again? Be like buying an SS for C63 money 
    You'll have to wait and see how it performs at all the Major race events this year, before drawing "Any Conclusions" to this question...

It's yet to race Anywhere...... other than the opening ASBK at Phillip Island last weekend...

As I said, no confirmation on Aus prices yet...

But looking at US pricing, its going to be North of $20K....

You'll have to wait and see how it performs at all the Major race events this year, before drawing "Any Conclusions" to this question...

It's yet to race Anywhere...... other than the opening ASBK at Phillip Island last weekend...

As I said, no confirmation on Aus prices yet...

But looking at US pricing, its going to be North of $20K....
    Doesn't really matter how it goes on the track and especially in SBK where there is a plethora of customisation. Its the combination of on the road and the amateur track day with a stock bike is where I make my analysis, as the majority of my riding is through twisty mountain stretches and the highways getting there.

Sure these are superbikes we're talking about and track performance is great for bragging rights. But if you buy with your head, there should be much more to it than SBK results for a guy riding one on the street.
    The R1 for example is a terrific track bike, but very harsh on the road.
    The ZX-10 is the king of most circuit racing events. Again its nothing special on the road.
    1299 is light weight and awesome on track. Great to look at, but absolutely rubbish to live with though.

Main reason I bought a RR was because I wanted a new sports bike with bullshit power, but some toys too. To be absolutely honest it was cruise control that sold me on getting a RR. I was going to get an R before the 15 RR got the upgraded toys. Why? Because I ride alot of KM and I was over shitty throttle locks when all my mates had bikes with proper cruise. The DDC, down shift blipper, heated grips etc made it a no brainer for me. Fast forward two years and everyone has released new bikes, yet no one has matched BMW for features in the superbike segment, yet they have the balls to touch on asking BMW money

Doesn't really matter how it goes on the track and especially in SBK where there is a plethora of customisation. Its the combination of on the road and the amateur track day with a stock bike is where I make my analysis, as the majority of my riding is through twisty mountain stretches and the highways getting there.

Sure these are superbikes we're talking about and track performance is great for bragging rights. But if you buy with your head, there should be much more to it than SBK results for a guy riding one on the street.
    The R1 for example is a terrific track bike, but very harsh on the road.
    The ZX-10 is the king of most circuit racing events. Again its nothing special on the road.
    1299 is light weight and awesome on track. Great to look at, but absolutely rubbish to live with though.

Main reason I bought a RR was because I wanted a new sports bike with bullshit power, but some toys too. To be absolutely honest it was cruise control that sold me on getting a RR. I was going to get an R before the 15 RR got the upgraded toys. Why? Because I ride alot of KM and I was over shitty throttle locks when all my mates had bikes with proper cruise. The DDC, down shift blipper, heated grips etc made it a no brainer for me. Fast forward two years and everyone has released new bikes, yet no one has matched BMW for features in the superbike segment, yet they have the balls to touch on asking BMW money

I never said ASBK is the only measure of how well it performs, I said it's only done 3 rounds of the ASBK (first race of the All New bike, anywhere in the world) and there are "all the Major race events this year", for it to still prove its worth as a Sportsbike... The Whole reason Suzuki build the GSX-R in the first place...

As I said in Post #7, "It's going to be very interesting, to see how it compares to all the other brand 1K sports bikes, once they get tested together..." the outcomes of these reviews is what will influence my decision the most on weather to buy or not.... race results purely show what the bike is ultimately capable of...

You say and I quote "Doesn't really matter how it goes on the track"..... but on the other hand you say and I quote "Yeah I saw that he's downgraded! Be kicking himself at the Isle of Man this year when the BMW's fly by at Sulby lol".... implying that the GSX-R lacks powers and will get passed by BMW's at a track event... Track results don't matter, Really................................

That's a Completely Hollow Assumption, as the race is 3 months away, and the 2017 GSX-R has Never Ever Raced There.....

Once its proved it worth or not, then you can judge weather or not the RRP price is Justifiable.....

All of this, before the official RRP price is released in Australia...

JJW501 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 18-10-2021 @ 08:11 PM

I am very interested in the pricing of this bike, considering it is a very competitive and shrinking market.

Let me guess - there is a waiting list ? Lol

I never said ASBK is the only measure of how well it performs, I said it's only done 3 rounds of the ASBK (first race of the All New bike, anywhere in the world) and there are "all the Major race events this year", for it to still prove its worth as a Sportsbike... The Whole reason Suzuki build the GSX-R in the first place...

As I said in Post #7, "It's going to be very interesting, to see how it compares to all the other brand 1K sports bikes, once they get tested together..." the outcomes of these reviews is what will influence my decision the most on weather to buy or not.... race results purely show what the bike is ultimately capable of...

You say and I quote "Doesn't really matter how it goes on the track"..... but on the other hand you say and I quote "Yeah I saw that he's downgraded! Be kicking himself at the Isle of Man this year when the BMW's fly by at Sulby lol".... implying that the GSX-R lacks powers and will get passed by BMW's at a track event... Track results don't matter, Really................................

That's a Completely Hollow Assumption, as the race is 3 months away, and the 2017 GSX-R has Never Ever Raced There.....

Once its proved it worth or not, then you can judge weather or not the RRP price is Justifiable.....

All of this, before the official RRP price is released in Australia...
    Isle of Mann ain't no track. Its a public road. Performance will be interesting, it might do ok. But I doubt it. I see the new VCT system as a way to make the engine more flexible at a wider range of revs. For this kind of racing its a mute point when you're always operating in the upper end of the rev range. Wouldn't be surprised if most teams remove it if they are allowed, to reduce valve train weight. If they can build an engine that in SuperStock trim can compete and exceed others in the Superbike class with their $50k+ built engines like BMW have. Then I'll be impressed.
    Last edited by macca_779; 01-03-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Jason01 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-12-2019 @ 11:02 AM

We'll have to get you blokes together at a track day somewhere when SAS gets his 17 GSX-R and see which one has the goods .

Isle of Mann ain't no track. Its a public road. Performance will be interesting, it might do ok. But I doubt it. I see the new VCT system as a way to make the engine more flexible at a wider range of revs. For this kind of racing its a mute point when you're always operating in the upper end of the rev range. Wouldn't be surprised if most teams remove it if they are allowed, to reduce valve train weight. If they can build an engine that in SuperStock trim can compete and exceed others in the Superbike class with their $50k+ built engines like BMW have. Then I'll be impressed.

Keep Digging.... Your quote "Isle of Mann ain't no track. Its a public road".... It's called Road Racing, and is the Ultimate Test / Race for any bike anywhere in the world and has been going since 1907...

Track / Mountain Course / Public Road / Event, whatever you want to call it... Regardless........ it's the Ultimate Major "Bike Race" that every bike Manufacturer wants to win...

Why would any team remove the SR-VVT???.... it provides all the High End Power above 10000RPM when it actuates (turns on), its straight off the Suzuki MotoGP bike, is very simple, very light, seamless operation, requires no hydraulics, no oil pressure and zero electronics to operate...

Here's a pic of the system in pieces, so simple, compact, and light......

Best you read up on how the SR-VVT works.... As Clearly.... you have No Idea what your talking about...

Obviously you ignored post #12 in this Thread, explaining the exact same thing...

Quote below from Suzuki Direct....

"A Compact Engine,
    Making More Power Across A Broader Range

GSX-R1000R

The design team quickly settled on basic engine design goals. The new engine would rev higher and make more peak horsepower, while maintaining excellent low-to-mid-range power and drive. It would be a compact and lightweight Inline Four, DOHC with chain cam drive and four titanium valves per cylinder set at narrow angles, with a more over-square bore/stroke ratio, a higher redline and a higher compression ratio.
    The details started with bore and stroke of 76 mm x 55.1 mm and 999.8 cm3 of displacement. Followed by a new valve train developed in MotoGP competition, using thinner-wall, hollow camshafts operating lighter, F1-style pivoting finger followers. Each finger follower is 6 grams lighter than a conventional bucket tappet (10 grams vs. 16 grams), and because each follower pivots on a fixed shaft, its moving mass is just 3 grams. The lighter moving mass allows maximum engine rpm and valve lift to be increased while improving valve response and maintaining accurate valve control. Each finger follower in the GSX-R1000 is designed based on the actual followers used in the GSX-RR MotoGP racebike, including a DLC coating to increase durability.
    Finger followers positioned between the valves and the cam lobes are by nature thicker than the top of conventional bucket tappets. To minimize the resulting increase in overall cylinder head height, conventional aluminum valve spring retainers are replaced with thinner, steel valve spring retainers.
    The exhaust valves are now made out of titanium instead of steel, are slightly smaller (measuring 24 mm instead of 25 mm) and are lighter (by 8.2 grams each). The reduction in exhaust valve weight contributes to the new engine’s ability to reliably turn higher rpm, and slightly larger (31.5 mm instead of 30 mm) titanium intake valves help add high-rpm power. But exploiting the higher engine speed and increasing the high-rpm power without affecting lower and mid-rpm power presented a challenge. The valve timing needed for higher peak power also reduces mid-range and lower-rpm power.

4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC 999.8cm3

Broad Power System

The Suzuki Racing VVT (SR-VVT), Suzuki Exhaust Tuning-Alpha (SET-A), and Suzuki Top Feed Injector (S-TFI) systems combine to make the Broad Power System, increasing high-rpm performance without reducing low and mid-range performance. The result is strong, linear power and enhanced acceleration throughout the rpm range.
    The solution was the Suzuki Racing Variable Valve Timing (SR-VVT) system developed in MotoGP racing. Unlike complicated systems used by other manufacturers, the SR-VVT system is simpler, more compact, and lighter. The system is built into the intake cam sprocket and an adjacent guide plate, using 12 steel balls positioned between slanted radial grooves in the intake cam sprocket and straight radial grooves in the guide plate attached directly to the camshaft. As centrifugal force moves the balls outward at high rpm, the offset grooves align, rotating the position of the cam sprocket on the camshaft and retarding intake cam timing, adding significantly to high-rpm power.
    The beauty of the SR-VVT system is in its compact simplicity, light weight, reliability and seamless operation. Centrifugal force is constantly produced when the engine is running, and is free in that it does not use power that could otherwise turn the rear wheel. For more than a decade, racers have not been able to feel when the system moved to change the valve timing. What they have been able to feel is a seamless, significant increase in high-rpm power, without sacrificing any low or mid-range. And the system is built into existing parts, takes up no extra room in the engine, with a minimal weight increase.

GSX-R1000R

VVT mechanism

VVT low rpm

VVT high rpm

The new GSX-R1000’s 4-into-2-into-1 thin-wall stainless-steel Suzuki Advanced Exhaust System (S-AES) is also designed to increase high-rpm horsepower without reducing mid-range and lower-rpm power. GSX-R1000 models have long used a servo-operated Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) butterfly valve built into the mid-pipe to help maximize torque throughout the rpm range by optimizing back pressure based on engine rpm, throttle position and gear position. But the new GSX-R1000’s exhaust system improves on that idea with the addition of new Suzuki Exhaust Tuning-Alpha (SET-A) butterfly valves .
    A header balance tube connects the head pipes for cylinders #1 and #4, and another header balance tube connects the head pipes for cylinders #2 and #3, a design feature that normally increases high-rpm power at the expense of mid-range and lower-rpm power. Suzuki engineers added a servo-operated SET-A butterfly valve in each header balance tube, which remains closed to enhance mid-range and low-rpm power, then opens at high rpm to add significant top-end power.
    Each forged aluminum piston has short skirts and cutaway sides to reduce weight and friction, a DLC-coated wrist pin to reduce friction and a carefully shaped piston dome to increase compression while also enhancing combustion efficiency. The L-shaped upper compression ring is pushed out against the cylinder wall by combustion pressure, reducing blow-by and improving sealing. The oil control ring features a chrome-nitride coating, which is harder and smoother than conventional chrome plating, reducing friction, increasing durability, and also enhancing sealing.
    The pistons are carried by chrome-molybdenum steel connecting rods with a carburized surface treatment to increase strength. The cylinders are built into the upper crankcase casting and are plated with Suzuki’s own race-proven nickel-phosphorus-silicon-carbide bore coating known as SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material), reducing friction and improving heat transfer, durability and ring seal.
    Cutouts in the sides of the cylinder bores (below the piston stroke) allow air trapped underneath each descending piston to quickly escape to adjacent cylinders where pistons are rising. The cutouts minimize internal crankshaft air-pressure resistance to downward piston movement, reducing mechanical power loss, and contributing to better ring seal.
    Careful design of internal passageways increased the rate at which coolant flows through the cylinder head and dramatically improved heat transfer. A new, higher-capacity radiator equipped with dual fans helps make the cooling system more efficient even with a smaller volume of coolant, contributing to weight reduction.
    The close-ratio six-speed transmission has the previous model’s internal ratios and vertically staggered shafts to reduce overall engine length.
    But the gears are redesigned to handle the power increase. A new Suzuki Clutch Assist System (S-CAS) uses a pressure plate with built-in engagement ramps and cams. The S-CAS design automatically reduces pressure on the plates, (increasing slip and limiting back-torque), during deceleration, downshifts and hard braking on the racetrack. The system also reduces slip by increasing mechanical pressure on the plates during acceleration, allowing the use of lighter clutch springs and making it easier to pull in the clutch lever.

Ride By Wire Throttle Bodies

The new throttle bodies are 19 mm shorter, simpler, lighter and more compact than the previous model’s throttle bodies, with a larger bore (46 mm versus 44 mm). Each one has a single butterfly valve controlled by an advanced electronic engine management system, and each cylinder is fed by two ultra-fine-atomization 10-hole injectors.
    One injector is mounted at a steep angle in the throttle body itself and operates any time the engine is running. A second showerhead injector—also known as a Top Feed Injector (TFI)--is mounted in the top of the air cleaner box, directly over each throttle body’s intake funnel (or velocity stack), and operates at higher rpm. The TFI showerhead injector delivers additional fuel in an improved spray pattern designed to enhance combustion efficiency, throttle response and top-end power.

Suzuki Dual-Stage Intake(S-DSI) System

The new S-DSI system delivers advantages of variable-length intake funnels (or velocity stacks) without extra weight, complexity, or cost. The S-DSI funnels use a new stacked, dual-stage design, with a longer funnel positioned over a short funnel, and a gap in between.
    The dual-stage S-DSI funnels are fitted to cylinders #1 and #4, with conventional funnels fitted to cylinders #2 and #3.
    Shorter conventional funnels are better for high-rpm power and longer conventional funnels are better for low and mid-range power. Thanks to the physics of air flow, S-DSI funnels provide the best of both, acting like a longer funnel at low and mid rpm, and acting like a shorter funnel at higher rpm.
    At low and mid rpm, most of the air flows through the longer, upper funnel into the short funnel, increasing low-end and mid-range power. At higher rpm, more air flows around the base of the longer upper funnel and directly into the short lower funnel, increasing top-end power. Using two S-DSI funnels and two conventional funnels helps produce a broader powerband and a seamless transition from low and mid-range into the high-rpm range.

SET-A valves

GSX-R1000R

Air cleaner box and throttle body

S-DSI funnels

Air flow Image

Josh Waters 2017 GSX-R1000R ASBK.... Stock Engine, Stock ECU (no tune), Stock rear shock & Spring, Street Exhaust, at ASBK Phillip Island opener....

He made it up to 2nd place, during one of the races...

Still waiting on parts to arrive...

Quote from link at bottom...

Consistent results in ASBK races two and three display potential.

Team Suzuki Ecstar’s 11th-hour Yamaha Motor Finance Australian Superbike Championship (ASBK) entry went impressively-well for Josh Waters aboard the all-new GSX-R1000R at Phillip Island on debut.
    Considering he had zero testing aboard the near-stock GSX-R1000R and completed his lone laps on a production model at Suzuki’s world launch, dual ASBK champion Waters was quickly up to speed and ended up 10th overall despite a DNF.
    A holed radiator ruled him out of the opening encounter on Saturday while he was in the front group, however the team was able to rectify any damage done by Sunday’s pair of national races to record fifth-place finishes in both.

“It was quite good with no testing and I haven’t raced a bike since October at the GP,” Waters told CycleOnline.com.au. “My expectations were like normal, to go better, but the team has done an amazing job to get this bike ready. It is amazing."

“The bike really is straight out of the box. It’s got a standard rear shock in it, we don’t have a different spring, we don’t have an ECU so can’t tune it and we’ve got a street exhaust on it. It’s a pretty cool bike, so I look forward to when we get some more parts. To be up there in the top five, I think that was good.”

With Wakefield Park’s second round right around the corner on 17-19 March, it’s expected Team Suzuki Ecstar will carry out its next phase of development in what is the home race of the Canberra Motorcycle Centre-operated dealer team.

“A lot depends on when we get parts, but I’d like to ride more and I need to ride at Wakefield. I know a lot of our main competition have done test days there, so I need to do some more laps at any track, so yeah!”

Link...

Last edited by SASLS1; 02-03-2017 at 01:40 AM.

Thread Information