Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Holden in the Family :)

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 05:52 PM

Re: Another Holden in the Family :)

It is definitely illegal to not have working parkers Rod.

You could get a yellow sticker for it.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 03:37 PM

Ok, another niggling issue. I have been caught out twice now with the headlights not turning off when you park the car and open the door. They also don't shut off when the car is locked. It started off just every now and then and is now permanent. I have removed both door jam switches and cleaned them as best as I can with no change. I did notice that the drivers one was randomly triggering what sounded like a relay somewhere under the dash, it is not even doing that now. The passenger one does nothing. Is it possible that the switches are stuffed, or just that dirty inside that they need replacing? Cheap to replace, just don't want to waste my time if the issue is elsewhere. From what I have read, these switches control the headlights and the interior dome light.

I think you will find that the headlamps problem will be a sticking low beam relay.

The relay is located in the fuse box under the bonnet next to the battery.

The low beam relay gets worn out (with contacts getting burnt & sticking or holding on) with heaps of use over the years.

(The lights stay on after you switch them off.)

Easy instant fix is swap it with the horn relay (which is hardly ever active) they are exactly the same.

See pictures...

20201031_103058.jpg

20201031_103108.jpg

I have done this loads of times with Commodores.
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 31-10-2020 at 10:22 AM.

I reckon the interior light might be a sticking "interior illum" relay as well which is located in the fuse box under the steering wheel.

Try swapping it with another that might not get used as much.

Here is a diagram of the fuse box in case your one is missing.

fuse box.jpg
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 31-10-2020 at 10:37 AM.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 03:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    I reckon the interior light might be a sticking "interior illum" relay as well which is located in the fuse box under the steering wheel.

Try swapping it with another that might not get used as much.

Here is a diagram of the fuse box in case your one is missing.

fuse box.jpg
    Thanks Ed, will have a look at that also. In the meantime, since cleaning the door switches they are suddenly turning off again as they should. Might just be coincidence, but I reckon I will replace both door jam switches as well, they are only $10 from Holden.

How did you go with your parkers?

How did you go with your parkers?
    It simply does not have them from what I can see Ed. Not sure why, but the hole that they would sit in is blanked off. On the bright side, the Calais got some nice LED parker globes that I bought for the ute lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    It simply does not have them from what I can see Ed.
    Not sure why, but the hole that they would sit in is blanked off.

On the bright side, the Calais got some nice LED parker globes that I bought for the ute lol.
    Can you remove whatever the holes are blanked off with & just put some in there or will it be a harder fix?

Can you remove whatever the holes are blanked off with & just put some in there or will it be a harder fix?
    When I get time I will have a better look, I think I would need to remove the lights and maybe drill it out which would probably risk shattering the whole headlight internals. Probably easier to just replace them. Then there is the wiring that would need to be added in, as it looks like that has been totally removed. I assume this was all done when the GTO front was put on.

Edit: First photo is VU with parker slots blanked out, second is VE with now with LED bulbs. Was going to do both cars in full LED eventually anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BLACK 346; 31-10-2020 at 11:41 AM.

I would drill them out, they are only plastic, can't imagine them shattering Rod & if by chance they did you could replace them.

If you go to the wreckers & have a look you might find some lights and wiring sets.

I reckon they would most likely be plug in harness attachments
    or you might even find that yours are tucked out of the way in behind the bar somewhere.

I would drill them out, they are only plastic, can't imagine them shattering Rod & if by chance they did you could replace them.

If you go to the wreckers & have a look you might find some lights and wiring sets.

I reckon they would most likely be plug in harness attachments
    or you might even find that yours are tucked out of the way in behind the bar somewhere.
    Will have a dig around under the bonnet and see what I can find

Could not see pictures before but those blanking things for the parkers look as though they might even just pull out?

Have been monitoring my economy since buying the ute and as the work has been carried out. Has not changed a bit since I bought it, averaging about 15-16 l/100 around town. Not much better than my blown VE. I am not complaining as it is a V8 and happy to pay the price. I do not remember my VT2 being this thirsty though, even with Heads and Cam. Wondering if it would be worthwhile throwing a new pair of 02 sensors in and see if it improves? Can get a pair of Bosch for about $130. No point wasting the money though if this is par for the course for an untuned LS1.

I would expect it to get around 13 as long as you don't drive it too hard.

I had a bog stock series 1 WH Caprice a few years ago that used to do around 12 flat.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Rod my fat Lady Crewie at times does 19-21L/100 around town cam+tune. Highway is a low as 8L/100 though.

Thread Information