Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 70w HID Upgrade (High Beam)

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

70w HID Upgrade (High Beam)

As some of you would know I am a big fan of good lighting, hence have upgraded the lights on almost all my cars since my first EH in 1972.

My SSV sedan and now ute have both had 35w low beam and 50w high beam HID kits put in them from Gerald at Gadgetmaster and have been great! In fact, I've now purchased about a dozen kits from him for friends and as far as I know they're all still going strong. In fact the second kit I bought was for my auto elec after he installed my original 35w low beams in my VZ SS and was so impressed he wanted some for his VYII R8. Four years later now and he hasn't had to touch them.

However, recently in another thread on here I read about someone with some 70w kits, so investigated further. Turns out he lives only 15 mins from me so I went up and saw him. He seems a very nice guy and as his website says he has worked in the car industry for many years and seems to know his stuff (we know people in common).

I decided to try a 70w upgrade for my high beams - bloody brilliant!! I took 3 sets of comparison pics but even though don't really seem to illustrate how good they are. See http://www.hid-lightsdownunder.com/

I feel a bit bad about "deserting" Gerald after all his great service and products over 4+ years and of course it remains to be seen how these hold up, but they appear good quality and the guy has tested them (has 3 big Lightmaster driving lights on his Patrol with 100w HID kits in them ).

6.2L.Club is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 11-05-2014 @ 12:21 AM

Re: 70w HID Upgrade (High Beam)

Keep an eye on your high beam reflector Gaz, my 50W kits are already tanished from the heat of the 50W kit, 70W can't be any better.

Must look like a road trian with 5 spotties on coming from the other direction

Do it once.......do it properly

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

Actually Tim, my aim for today at Chev's is to use his laser temperature probe to measure the heat output of mine vs a standard non HID 55w high beam to see how they compare. HIDs should actually run cooler than halogens eg from http://www.hid-lightsdownunder.com/page003.html "Halogen lamps are very inefficient, with a 100W bulb producing 1700 lumens at only 17% efficiency, 17 lumens per watt. That’s 83% inefficient and converting the wasted output into heat. These HID kits produce around 87% efficiency, 87 lumens per watt. eg) 35w x 87 = 3045 Lumens with only 13% inefficiency converting to heat, which is why HID lights run cooler than halogens even though they output many more times their light.".

However, I wanted to check it for myself to see, especially after reading of your issue.

6.2L.Club is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 11-05-2014 @ 12:21 AM

When doing this test Gaz you will need to have the globe out of the headlight or all your going to measure is the lense surface temp of the headlight itself. Be careful handling the HID though as it runs at about 120volts (depending on brand etc) when lit.

The hotter the gas burns, governs what color temperature your globe is, the hotter, the higher, hence why halogens need to color their glass the have a similar effect as it's not possible for the filament to heat any hotter or it would simply melt away

will be interesting to see your results, l have a laser temp gun but never thought of doing this
    Do it once.......do it properly

Hos is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 07-08-2018 @ 06:53 AM

I'll be very interested to see the results Wonky. One small change I'd like to make but never been too sure which brand to go with and never seen the difference given where I live.

Keep us posted with what you find.

Regards,
    Hos

smokey777 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-12-2011 @ 12:48 PM

looking at those wonky i really gotta upgrade my Hi/Lo's & fogs

HARMSY is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 21-02-2019 @ 12:58 PM

Very nice, this is one of the mods o want to do in the near future cause the factory lights in the ute are crapola!!!! Wonk what do you run for low beam?? I'm thinking 35W for the low beam and fog lights (can the fog lights be changed??) and the 70w for the high beam......

Harmsy
    i'm sorry, did my comments offend you?? harden up princess!!

Did the test today, but only measured the temp at the surface of the lens figuring that would give us a good indication of relative temps, which is all I initially wanted.

With the motor running to make sure max power was getting to the lights the lens in front of the high beam got to 56C inside Chev's workshop. Then measured on a VE SS (sure SS/SSV shouldn't make any difference on high beam??) and it was only 32C, so a big difference!! Admittedly that was outside where there was a slight wind, but I assume that would make SFA difference.

Will have to keep an eye on them..............

Quote Originally Posted by 6.2L.Club View Post
    Keep an eye on your high beam reflector Gaz, my 50W kits are already tanished from the heat of the 50W kit, 70W can't be any better.
    Is that driving where you work Tim which I assume would involve a lot of long stints on high beam, or just normal local stuff, on for a minute or two max before another car approaches, then off, on, off ............ etc?

Quote Originally Posted by HARMSY View Post
    Very nice, this is one of the mods o want to do in the near future cause the factory lights in the ute are crapola!!!! Wonk what do you run for low beam?? I'm thinking 35W for the low beam and fog lights (can the fog lights be changed??) and the 70w for the high beam......

Harmsy
    I run 35w low beam and find them perfectly adequate - can drive at 100kmh with only low beam. Fog lamps are H3 and can apparently be changed, but then possibly become neither use nor ornament as they reflect too much off moisture to be used in fog and are too bright to be used for the wankers who need to drive around with foggies on. (I did too for a while in my VY )

Knight Phlier is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 28-03-2017 @ 11:57 PM

Has anyone tested using a 3000K lamp for fogs so it is a bit more yellowish? Imagine this would be better then 5000-6000K in fog.

Carty78 is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 19-11-2010 @ 11:52 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
    Will have to keep an eye on them..............
    Wonky,
    How has your 70 watt'ers go have you had any probs as am talking with Downunder at the moment looking to put a set in my SS-V.

Cheers
    Carty.

Hmm... His pricing is very good. I too went the Gadgetmaster route and have been very impressed. However, I only did driving. Did my parkers and foggies in LED also from Gadgetmaster.

But this pricing is great. Might have to give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Carty78 View Post
    Wonky,
    How has your 70 watt'ers go have you had any probs as am talking with Downunder at the moment looking to put a set in my SS-V.

Cheers
    Carty.
    No problems so far that I know of, though must admit I haven't really inspected closely. I always use low beam for the last couple of minutes of my journey so they get a chance to cool down with air passing over them. Now have 70w in my driving lights too, though they need re-aiming (the way the W427 bar is set up you can't really access the globes without taking the driving lights and mounting brackets right out ).

As a matter of interest I had a pretty good look at my lenses today and they look fine i.e. no signs of any problems due to the heat of the 70w high beam HIDs.

Thread Information