Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Enter Sandman

VY Sandman is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 13-08-2010 @ 11:06 PM

Enter Sandman

Hi people,

I just joined this Forum to check out all things LS1-related. My wife and I bought a VYII SS Sandman back in May '04 (we ordered it in Feb 04!??!) and I thought it was about time I got enthused.

I've got a couple of other projects on the brew; my trusty Gemini van that I race out at Mallala, plus two Isuzu Belletts, one a sedan and the other a GT.

So yeah, I've got some plans for the VY but really want to keep it mostly stock, coz it basically does what I want it to and when, just the way it is. Sure it could be lower, but I have driveway issues. It could have a blower, but with all these mouths to feed, I don't have the funds. Don't even have kids yet, so when I do I'm sure the Sandman will have to go.

Anyway, I'm well keen to hear from other Sandman owners; really wanted to get a gauge of how many are out there and collect some pics and so forth! I've heard there's at least one other Cosmo Mica VY Sandman in Adelaide, plus there are two VY S Sandmans run by the Nova 919 radio station here.

Mine is a VYII SS Sandman with the 6-speed and optioned with climate and cosmo leather. What have other Sandman owners got? PM me if you're not keen to post info publicly.

Wild. Thanks for having me.

ls1ozstyle is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 19-05-2011 @ 09:15 PM
    Welcome Aboard

I saw an SS Crewman with a canapy yesterday actually looked pretty trick. How about it Holden a twincab Sandman?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SICK SS is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 14-02-2019 @ 09:54 PM
    when did holden start selling sandmans again?? You mean a ute with a canopy. Anyway mate welcome to the forum. May i suggest an LS1 edit u wont regert it.

ROGUE is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 22-10-2010 @ 11:08 AM
    g'day mate, and welcome

is your ute a cosmo one too?

haven't seen too many around Adelaide, so at least you know you've got something rare

VY Sandman is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 13-08-2010 @ 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SICK SS
    when did holden start selling sandmans again?? You mean a ute with a canopy. Anyway mate welcome to the forum. May i suggest an LS1 edit u wont regert it.
    Don't YOU start. I got an email from Holden Customer Care advising me that 'Holden have not built the Sandman for some time'. Yeah, well Holden Customer Care insulting my intelligence didn't really help endear themselves to me.

I have the Sandman Canopy Conversion From Holden By Design brochure.

So from here on in, I will be referring to my car as:

Holden VYII SS Sandman Canopy Conversion From Holden By Design.

Happy?

It's as close to a real Sandman as they're ever gonna get (at least with the VU-VY-VZ series commericals) and given the numbers sold, I'd say it's got a short life.

I didn't see people dancing around complaining when Holden did the original VU Sandman show car. That was a ute with a canopy, the only difference being some wild trim and the removal of the ute's rear window. Haven't heard once person refer to that as a ute with a canopy.

Oh wait, a quote from the brochure:
    "Holden By Design can assist you to make the transition from utility to 'Sandman' while continued to complement the clean lines of the VY Series II Holden Ute design.

Anyway, once the canopy is on, it ain't coming off (believe me, it was investigated when a dumb chick in a Barina slapped the side of it). It's glued on and has to be cut off with hot wires, so I'd say it's a permanent fixture.

And I'd say it's a Sandman.

But that's just me ; )

I ask you, which is more panelvan? My VYII SS Sandman (...Canopy Conversion From Holden By Design) or my Holden TD Gemini van. Out of the two, that's the only one with 'panelvan' on the build plate. So I guess it's more van than the Sandman.

On the notion of a dual-cab Sandman, I've seen the HBD canopies and they look good! Again, like the standard Sandman (...Canopy Conversion From Holden By Design), it's got no big side windows like a regular canopy and sits much more flush too. Looks wild.

In response to "is it cosmo mica", yeah it is.

On your recommendation for an LS1 edit, sounds good; like I said I've got plans to give it a bit more spice, but I've got about 10 other things in front of it first! Dammit!

Cheers.

Looks like a good forum; thanks for your responses.

XLR8 V8 is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 09-01-2023 @ 02:01 AM
    Get some pics up ... I saw a black "Sandman" a few weeks back, lowered on large aftermarket chrome rims with pitch black tint .... looked fantastic!

One question .... once HBD install the Sandman canopy, do they do anything with the rear window of the ute to allow access to the canopied area from the cabin?
    Last edited by XLR8 V8; 17-02-2005 at 09:38 PM.

Ralph1 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-01-2007 @ 09:25 PM
    So what your saying is it's a Sandman........or is it a ute with a box on the back, sorry couldn't resist. Up in Townsville I have seen 2 of them getting around.

Quote Originally Posted by XLR8 V8
    Get some pics up ... I saw a black "Sandman" a few weeks back, lowered on large aftermarket chrome rims with pitch black tint .... looked fantastic!

One question .... once HBD install the Sandman canopy, do they do anything with the rear window of the ute to allow access to the canopied area from the cabin?
    The answer to that is: Nothing.

Apparently one can remove the window, but because glass is classified as a structural member of the car these days, one would need an engineers certificate.

Also, the actual height of the window is only as high as your standard VU-VY-VZ ute, so it's only big enough for a skinny bastard to climb through. What's more, one would end up placing one's feet all over one's nice trim, so there's another problem.

The only time I've thought it would be handy to have no glass was:

1) when I was at the drive-in and could hardly hear Shrek 2 even with the stereo pumped (solution: take a battery powered stereo and have it in the back)

2) when I had two stranded hitchhikers in the back stuck halfway between nowhere and ****-all on the Hay Plain and it was about 35 degrees. But then again, I was fine, so really they had the problem, not me!!!

Love to get some pics up, but I don't think I can post them until I've been on the Forum for a while...

Cheers. Wild.
    Last edited by VY Sandman; 17-02-2005 at 10:53 PM.

XLR8 V8 is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 09-01-2023 @ 02:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VY Sandman
    Also, the actual height of the window is only as high as your standard VU-VY-VZ ute, so it's only big enough for a skinny bastard to climb through.
    Ask anyone, I qualify!

Love to get some pics up, but I don't think I can post them until I've been on the Forum for a while...
    The forum server doesn't host attachments at all.
    See HERE for instructions on hosting images on Haroc's server, then post a link up here.

QIKMIK is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 30-03-2024 @ 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VY Sandman
    The answer to that is: Nothing.

Apparently one can remove the window, but because glass is classified as a structural member of the car these days, one would need an engineers certificate.
    I remember reading something about the rear window of the VU Utester that Holden did a few years ago. It was lowered/raised electrically and Holden had apparently gone through the process of getting that mechanism engineered. Obviously it's not a production option yet, but you may be able to find out who could do a similar job. Just like a sunroof, but vertical.

Mick

XA coupe is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-09-2010 @ 07:52 PM
    Funny coincidence .. I saw what I assume was the orininal Sandman ( VT or VX ?? ) last night all done up in Tiger Mica with graphics all over it.
    It's a shame Holden didn't do a limited run as a PR exercise, talk about eye catching !

Glenn@Autowerks is offline Account Frozen Last Online: 24-02-2020 @ 01:09 PM
    I saw the new Sandman lookalike today on Parra Rd. Owned by Coca-Cola, they did it up quite well for a promotional car

jed55 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 26-11-2012 @ 01:40 PM
    Is this a Sandman?

057GEN is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 27-12-2007 @ 10:31 AM
    hay where did u steel that pic from thats my dads.

jed55 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 26-11-2012 @ 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 057GEN
    hay where did u steel that pic from thats my dads.
    Took it at the Qld Holden Day last November. Looks great.

pm me your email address and I'll send you the full size jpeg if you like.

Cheers, John D

Thread Information