Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: LS1 powered rock buggy build thread (FireBug)

FireTruck is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 02-03-2011 @ 02:44 PM

LS1 powered rock buggy build thread (FireBug)

Hey all,

couple of people have asked me to post more details on my buggy buildup... this is a rockcrawling 4x4 buggy for rockcrawling competitions. Name of the rig is the 'FireBug'.

What’s going in the FireBug?? Some great new stuff, and some of the performance proven and reliable components from my competition Jeep, the FireTruck (with some tweaks and upgrades!):
    • 260kW GenIII LS1, 5.7L aluminium V8
    • Aluminium radiator and thermo fan from Gondwana racing
    • 2 speed Powerglide auto transmission built by Autoboss
    • Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case from the FireTruck, with a new heavy duty 32 spline front output, new shorty rear output, and new 27 spline input (new parts from ABT)
    • Rockcrusher Dana60 axels, 35 spline alloy shafts and CTM unis, 4.88 gears and Detroit lockers, disks and chevy callipers all round
    • 40” Maxxis competition compound creepy crawlers on alloy rims and Staun beadlocks (from ABT)
    • PRP suspension racing seat (from ABT)
    • Full hydraulic POS steering (from ABT)
    • CNC cutting brakes and brake pedal assembly (from ABT)
    • 16” Fox airshocks (from ABT)
    • Currie Antirock off road swaybar in the rear (from ABT)
    • Old faithful Brawn 9000lb low mount has been cut down around 100mm for the front (mid-mounted), and the Brawn 4000lb will go on the rear

Stay tuned over the coming weeks for more updates as we kick the tires and light the fires on the FireBug, and for information on where and when you can see us in action…

FireTruck is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 02-03-2011 @ 02:44 PM

Re: LS1 powered rock buggy build thread (FireBug)

OK... some pics etc.

I should also say that Pip is operating as 'Just Customs'. He and Sean at ABT work closely, so all enquiries (retail) go through Sean.

Pics include the control arms (45mmm solid round 4140 - machined with a taper and a flat spot for adjustment), laser cut brackets for control arms, shock mounts, panhard mounts, etc.

I should explain that the wheels and tires you see on the buggy are just for the trailer and shed... the big tires will go on towards the end of the buildup.

[/img]

pics from a couple of weeks ago...

She's a rolling chassis! No pics, but LS1/glide/Atlas are in for initial fitting (using the glide case without guts just to get the placement etc). Glide should be finished in around a week or so.

Don't think I have mentioned it yet, but the LS1 came out of a VY SS commy ute with <30k on the clock. Went for the LS1 for weight and power reasons mostly... love the LS1 in my VZ SV8, so was very happy to pick this one up for the FireBug.

Suspension links sorted, track bars, seat posi, radiator mounted, etc. Some of the pics below are dropped on its guts (shocks fully compressed), others with shocks at full stretch. Flex's good without binding or clearance issues to the full range of the 16" Fox Shocks (pic below with Pip's ugly bean...).

here are some pics to give you an idea of what the final buggy will look like, and some of the stuff we do with these things. These pics are of the ABT buggy - my chassis will be the second generation of this frame.

The pics will give you an idea of the kinds of conditions and positions this thing will have to work at... lots of steep climbs, big drop offs, and off camber technical sections.

V8R is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 15-10-2011 @ 08:40 PM

nice stuff, firetruck, ive seen your other rig on 4wd tv and other places.. some nasty shit you guys put em thru! oh, congrats on LS1 power for the new buggy.

VooDoo is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 09-12-2021 @ 10:28 AM

Love to see this go down the 1/4 mile at least once! Awesome effort guys.
    JOIN #ls1 on irc.oz.org
    Kevin 07, Recession 08

Vulture is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 17-04-2024 @ 06:02 PM

Geez, surely you can get more suspension travel than that mate But seriously, excellent effort, hope it wins some outings.

Thanks all - not sure about putting it down the 1/4... driveline angles won't be real brilliant at speed!

...will do some damn good 4 wheel burnouts though!

Oh, and keep watching 4wdTV - when this beast is done you will see it on the box plenty!

S.
    Last edited by FireTruck; 28-05-2006 at 05:40 PM.

AnthonyP is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 19-01-2010 @ 01:34 PM

Nice work Shane....

I am soo keen to see this thing in werock... look for me (drunk guy in bright orange ROCKHAMMER RACING outfit) and come say hi

p.s. The ABT buggy gave me wood on the weekend.

banshee_lord is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 25-05-2014 @ 08:48 PM

woh man thats gonna be hell dangerous! Looks like some serious fun could be had in that!
    Good on ya!!

Souljah is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 02:01 PM

Nice buggy your got coming along there mate. But i too would like 2 see a quarter mile run

Rich VU SS is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 02-02-2007 @ 09:57 AM

Nice to see it being done, cant belive the amount of off roadability these things do.

Uncle Tone is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 13-10-2023 @ 02:11 PM

Nice bit of articulation in that chassis setup you have there. Brilliant stuff.

...pix from monday night...

Engine and tranny mounts done. Brackets for alternator, power steering pump and reservior done. Panels are cut to size, as is roof. Picked up another passenger side exhaust manifold so we can run the exhaust forward and around on the drivers side (no room to run backwards).

Will try to get some more pics and details up later in the week.

Thread Information