Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: wheels-380vrx v bfxr6 v vzsv6

rs2000 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 14-09-2012 @ 10:45 AM

wheels-380vrx v bfxr6 v vzsv6

found this on another forum.

The latest issue of WHEELS arrived today and there’s a few reviews of interest. First is the first drive of the BF and the next is a comparo between the BF XR6, VZ SV6 and the 380 VRX. For those who can’t be bothered reading through everything I’m going to say, put simply, the BF thrashes both and the 380 appears to be a huge disappointment.
    Author: Nathan Ponchard.
    Styling:
    "First impressions don’t bode well. Outwardly the 380 VRX resembles Mitsubishi’s take on a Camry… American-esque blandness and bulbous behind."
    They give the SV6 the OK, nothing flash but it’s far from ugly, and they describe the BF as remaining "universally attractive and unisexually appealing"
    Inside:
    "Slide into the 380 driver’s seat and initial disappointment prevails again. The steering wheel is unattractive…" While they describe the dash top as "funky" the plastic is "hard and doesn’t match any of the other equally hard interior plastics." They go on to say that the speakers look cheap and there’s no "surprise-and-delight features." While they’re on bagging out the 380, they mention that the air-vents can’t be turned off, the steering wheel can’t be adjusted for reach, p/window buttons and stalks are from the Lancer.
    "The Commodore’s controls are actually more tactile, clunky ventilation dials apart, while the Falcon interior is in another league again. The Ford’s classy ambience and impressive attention to detail make the Holden’s cabin look dated and flair free."
    Steering and ride:
    The 380’s steering "impresses for both its accuracy and well-weighted progressiveness when turning away from straight ahead." "For such a big front-driver, the 380 displays excellent poise and even feels noticeably more wieldy than the decent-handling Magna." They praise the refinement and ride quality along with the seats. It’s remains competitive with the "class leading" BF while being well ahead of the VZ. "The Falcon has a firmer ride than the 380, but it’s impressively damped, has better body control, and is far more polished than the stiff Commodore." The only negative with the Falcon is the steering which is "too sensitive in it’s off-centre response" Nothing new with the VZ, it’s acceptable but not class leading.
    Engine and transmission:
    The Commodores 3.6L and 5-speed auto are OK, although behind the BFs. "The BF six feels smoother, sounds sweeter and mates superbly with the virtually flawless (optional) transmission." The 380’s V6 wasn’t bad either, although nothing to get excited about.
    They go on to say that the Falcon has the best rear seat and the most useable interior room. The Falcon is again praised for having the largest boot.
    In closing, the Falcon wins easily and they even suggest that it warrants a genuine comparison with European sedans worth several times more.
    Falcon XR6: 4.5/5 stars
    380 VRX: 3.5/5
    Commodore SV6: 2.5/5
    Fuel:
    XR6: 13.2L per 100km
    380: 13.5L per 100km
    SV6: 13.0L per 100km

Performance times
    XR6: 7.2 seconds and 15.3 @ 151km/h
    380: 8.5 seconds and 16.2 @142km/h
    SV6: 7.7 seconds and 15.6 @ 149km/h

Danv8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 26-04-2008 @ 12:15 PM
    I've driven the 380 LX and it was a nice car to drive had some neat features but it was as inspiring as a wet sock.

380 for me no thanks they can stuff their $47,000 odd car.

vzsv6 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 12-11-2005 @ 04:58 PM
    Just another load of garbage, which is why I don't waste my money on these crappy publications. From what I have read and judging by the language used, you'd have to be blind freddy not to realise that the author of this article, whoever it is, is severely ford biased.
    Wheels and Motor have absolutely no credibility with me.

chops is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 31-10-2021 @ 02:33 PM
    Air vents that can't be turned off would be enough for me not to even consider a car, regardless of badge.

It might seem like a small thing, but surely driver comfort has to be a consideration for a manufacturer???

Danv8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 26-04-2008 @ 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chops
    Air vents that can't be turned off would be enough for me not to even consider a car, regardless of badge.

It might seem like a small thing, but surely driver comfort has to be a consideration for a manufacturer???

Maybe they could not afford to put in another switch to turn the vents off.

rs2000 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 14-09-2012 @ 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vzsv6
    Just another load of garbage, which is why I don't waste my money on these crappy publications. From what I have read and judging by the language used, you'd have to be blind freddy not to realise that the author of this article, whoever it is, is severely ford biased.

so which print media outlet do you consider to have credibility? once again, it's just someones opinion. but what is interesting is that the xr6 has near identical fuel economy with better performance to the sv6.

vzsv6 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 12-11-2005 @ 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2000
    so which print media outlet do you consider to have credibility?
    NONE! I am a good enough judge for myself without having to read their stupid opinions..

Comments such as "The speakers look cheap" God, what are they going to write next?.. As if we haven't already read enough of their crap! Just goes to show that they are running out of useful things to write and fill their magazines with crap just so they can sell a copy.
    Last edited by vzsv6; 25-10-2005 at 12:49 PM.

XLR8 V8 is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 09-01-2023 @ 02:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2000
    but what is interesting is that the xr6 has near identical fuel economy with better performance to the sv6.

The fuel economy thing is very interesting, considering the Ford has a larger capacity engine and a heavier car to haul around?

RICHO is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 21-11-2008 @ 01:19 PM
    The old bias chestnut again....

So, WHY is it biased?? What sort of result did you actually expect??

NEW BF Falcon, near gearbox more powerful engine, NVH improvements, handling refinements, versus
    All NEW 380..Well as new as a old US galant design can be, versus
    VZ SV6 which is 10months from being replaced by an all new model

Bias?? It's 3 cars at completely different stages in their product lifecycle, so you'd hope the "newer" cars fared better. VZ is the oldest, then BF, then 380. If anything the biggest loser has to be the 380... To be brand new and have so little positive comment has to hurt.

As for the VZ.....am driving a VZSV6 at the moment (for the next 2 weeks), I don't think it's a 2.5 star car, meets every need I can think of (and have...other than the minor issues of a 2 cylinder shortfall) But I haven't driven all 3 cars back to back to make a true comparison.

If you're worried about bias by Wheels and Motor why don't you try

http://www.theonlynonbiasedarticlesa...comparison.com

Should keep you happy

PaulST is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 14-07-2008 @ 12:01 PM
    Comments such as "The speakers look cheap"
    That was my paraphrasing and not a direct quote from the article. The lack of " " in my origional comments that rs2000 posted indicate that it wasn't a direct quote. Here is what they said (notice the "XX") "The speaker grills at the base of the A-pillars and in the front doors look especially cheap."

BA$TAD is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-11-2009 @ 05:03 AM
    hmm very interesting...The ol "boat anchor I6" does pretty good in its old age
    hmmm wonder if the XT is any quicker than the XR6, in the BA it was.

Have to head down to the shops and pick up the magazine.

RICHO is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 21-11-2008 @ 01:19 PM
    Doubt the XT woudl be quicker as I don't think you can get the 6 spd auto an an I6 XT, can with the 3V 8 but not the 6 from memory.

I think the 6spd auto will have made a significant contribution to improved times / overall performance.

NinetySix is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 03-03-2008 @ 04:29 PM
    Very interesting!

it seems torque REALLY DOES win races

the XR6 must have been the 4 speed auto by the way, looking at ford.com.au the 6 speed auto is not an option for it.

i would be VERY interested to see some performance figures for a fairmont 4.0 n/a fitted with the 6 speed auto

COSMOS is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 30-12-2014 @ 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NinetySix
    Very interesting!

it seems torque REALLY DOES win races

the XR6 must have been the 4 speed auto by the way, looking at ford.com.au the 6 speed auto is not an option for it.

i would be VERY interested to see some performance figures for a fairmont 4.0 n/a fitted with the 6 speed auto
    the xr6 is a 6speed. I just sat in one at a dealer and we both commented that the NA wasnt supposed to come with the ZF box but they are... even had to ask the workshop foreman if it was a trim error but he says not

PaulST is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 14-07-2008 @ 12:01 PM
    The 6-speed manual and 4speed auto are NCO's on th XR6NA while a 6-speed auto is a $1200-odd option. So you can definately get the three different transmission.
    I'm surprised that the BA XT was faster than the XR6, especially with the sport diff in the XR6. Having owned both, the XR6 feld quicker.

The magazine should be in shops tommorow.

Thread Information