Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Project Blown SS Refresh

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 29-04-2024 @ 08:07 AM

Re: Project Blown SS Refresh

Sounds like massive leaps forward Carlton.

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 08:30 AM

What sort of coolant and trans temps are you seeing now?

I still think the IAT's can come down more, the brakes would be on the tune because of it...if you're up around or above the 9-10psi mark, it is a little down on power IMO. Probably share the same concerns as Frank, it is capable of a lot more, just have to iron the bugs out

FrangaFry is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 28-04-2024 @ 06:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by white lie View Post

I still think the IAT's can come down more, the brakes would be on the tune because of it...if you're up around or above the 9-10psi mark, it is a little down on power IMO. Probably share the same concerns as Frank, it is capable of a lot more, just have to iron the bugs out
    Yeah, truth be told, Luis was not happy about it either, as he also thought is should be making around the 370-380rwkw.

Biggest issue he thinks, could be the low compression I am running - with the forged/dished pistons in it, I think static comp was around the 9:4/9:3, this plus the standard heads, crappy little 2200 stall and god knows what else, seem to be holding her back. So, the IAT's are good, but not sure if I even really want to start to chase my tail on this one (already dropped a 'bunch' o'money over the last couple of years and I am sure the wife will soon 'draw the line').

Not even sure where I would need to start to be honest either .....

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by white lie View Post

Engine and Tranny temps are still higher than I would like (Engine Oil - 90-104 deg, Tranny Oil 80-95, prior I was seeing 108+ and 104+ respectively) - I only monitor the standard temp gauge for coolant and it is now back where it should be - rock solid, no movement.

The IAT's are pretty good now (yes, can do more with a new H/E perhaps - not sure what else can be done other than meth injection or water spray/squirty bits around the front), but the reduction should have been enough to get more timing into it. Luis indicated as much as well; He said that as soon as he started adding any decent timing (which the reduction in IAT's should have allowed for) he was getting pinging ...... he really was not very happy about it either (as he was hoping to get a heap more out of her).

Again, not sure where to go from here to even start the trouble shooting - engine is as safe as houses as it is, BUT, I really would like to yield just a wee bit more given all the effort and expense to date .......... but, that's modding I suppose and also an issue when you start with one idea many years earlier and end up with something waaaaay different than you originally planned for. Hindsight is a wonderful thing ..........

Re, the 'Whine/Whistle' ......... had a good chance to drive it today and I think my daughter summed it up: "whats' that constant whistle dad?" .............. it does sound great opened up and 'cruising' on mid/light throttle, but man on idle/rolling down the road under no/little throttle and I'm glad I've got a stereo .......... I'll run with it for a couple of weeks and make my mind up.

Cheers,

IJ. is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-08-2018 @ 01:19 PM

Now are you starting to see why a lot of the cooling gear ended up in the boot of the Lexcen... it's just simple math you have xx cooling flow through the front of the car, each heat exchanger you stack in there reduces the effectiveness of those behind it...

I ran into most of this in the Tonner, it was pretty bad in traffic on hot days and I was seeing 114c ECT..

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    Now are you starting to see why a lot of the cooling gear ended up in the boot of the Lexcen... it's just simple math you have xx cooling flow through the front of the car, each heat exchanger you stack in there reduces the effectiveness of those behind it...

I ran into most of this in the Tonner, it was pretty bad in traffic on hot days and I was seeing 114c ECT..
    G'day Ian!!!

Yep, I get it now mate ........ not sure it would be as effective in the wags though ... Hahaha

IJ. is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-08-2018 @ 01:19 PM

<nodding> yeah not so easy in a Wagon, but again the inescapable fact is if you make power you make heat and need some way to manage it, not sure what the Trans tune is like in your car but one thing I do is make it so the Converter stays Locked as much as possible, take yesterday as an example I had to tow the Lexcen it was in the 30's here and the highest Trans temp I saw was 88c coming up Mt Macedon, if you can reduce temp anywhere in the front of the car everything else will have an easier job..

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 12:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by feistl View Post
    ......... the standard harrop I/C pump is shit. Read this read, buy something better.
    The Harrop pump is worst than most, though almost all struggle under real world loads. See http://www.lingenfelter.com/forum_li...esting-results

Basically, the flow rates quoted are measured using a straight in/out tank without all the bends and restrictions of a real world set up. Based on the data on that page and many other reviews I bought from America the best rated pump there to try to address some of the cooling issues of my HTV but then decided that the car has more than enough power for me given my disabilities so have not installed it. Now for sale around $200 cheaper than can typically be landed here. PM for more info.

I'm using a Davies Craig EWP 140 in the Lexcen, good flow rates even with the InterCooler Exchanger in the Boot.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-04-2024 @ 10:58 AM

=
    - Noise - Hmmmmm, jury is still out - it's not a HUGE difference in 'whine', but, the constant 'whistle' might tip me over ...... (I do secretly like it, but it makes me a little nervous ..... )

Note to Errol - yep, a kettle constantly boiling ...... You nailed it man (hahahaha).
    So, are you getting accustomed to the Gilmer lol. Love the kettle comparison. Mine made me a little edgy at first I must admit, especially when I was driving past
    Adelaide oval at 40kmh during Fringe and people are stopping and staring. I do love the sound though, sounds pretty cool, even my wife loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    So, are you getting accustomed to the Gilmer lol. Love the kettle comparison. Mine made me a little edgy at first I must admit, especially when I was driving past
    Adelaide oval at 40kmh during Fringe and people are stopping and staring. I do love the sound though, sounds pretty cool, even my wife loves it.
    Hmmmm, am I getting used to it ........... honestly, it still freaks me out (especially with the radio down) ,BUT, yeah, like you and the missus, I do actually dig it.

End of the day, it doesn't stress me enough to want to change it yet; The way boost kicks in now is much nicer too - so that's a bonus.

I'm still in the honey moon phase though I think .......... I'll see what the next few weeks brings.

Will have to get my bloody A/C seen to next though, as it shit itself on Wed on the drive home ............. *sigh* - nothing but hot air out of it now. I hope we don't have any more high 30deg days for the next month though, as the wife has made it quite clear that I need to suck it up .............. *Mehhhhh* ... you get that (gota be some pain for the gain I suppose) and you never know, the AC issue may be one of heat culprits.

Update:

Howdy folks, a few weeks have passed and I have got used to the Gilmer (Like yourself Black 346, I really like it now .........) - have driven past a few Mr plods and nary a look in my direction (but I do make sure the right foot is not getting much pressure).

Have made some headway (I think) with the cooling - after a couple of visits to an AC joint and also an Auto Elec, have found that both motors on the radiator fans are screwed and neither are able to engage low speed; Have ordered some new OEM motors which are getting retro fitted tomorrow - so I am hoping to see some difference with the AC efficiency and also Engine/Tranny temps (fingers crossed, but time will tell).

As is always the way with these things, the day I found out about the fans (and ordered replacements), my left front strut sh1t itself (oil was pooled at the top of the strut and was spitting out of the shocker with every bump - *sigh*) - so begged and borrowed to get Pedders to install some new Sports Riders for me the next day (as I had some dramas at work and needed to use the wags to get in and back). Was also getting a nasty bang at the arse end and after taking a look underneath, noticed my rear swaybar had lost a bolt and was just hanging there *double sigh*. Managed to get a high tensile bolt from Repco the same day to tie it all back together, but the bushes are torn and also need replacing.

So, off to Auto elec again tomorrow to get fans sorted and then pedders on Tues to get the rear swaybar bushes replaced (and get a check of the rest just to be sure nothing else is screwed).

Needless to say, wife is NOT happy ............. again

I hate 'those' discussions: (Especially when you 'know' what is coming.... Damn Damn Damn )

Her: "Your bloody kidding me, it's gunna cost more friggin money"
    Me: (Head down) "Yep"
    Her: "Every bloody time we start to get ahead, this bloody car costs more money"
    Me: "Man, what can I say, I didn't plan (... this bit ....) it's dangerous the way it is and needs to get sorted"
    Her: "Well, sell the bloody thing, it's costing too much friggin money"
    Me: "You'd get bugger all back from it, and we'd still need a new car ............... I suppose I could always buy a new SSV Redline Wagon...."
    Her: ................ Silence .................

Ok, time to apologize profusely for being a big fat money spending arse and walk away before she changes her mind and decides I need to drive a fark'n Hyundi ..........

Man, I'm only gunna get away with this for so long ..........

Anyway, I'm hoping I do get a good run at some clean cost/repair free driving for a while once this little hurdle is done with....

On a bonus note, my front Koni's must have been screwed for a while and I just got used to it, as the Pedders Sports Riders have bloody transformed it again ........ silver lining?

Have a good one folks.

Cheers,

Franga

BLACKVE is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-03-2023 @ 08:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by FrangaFry View Post
    Update:

Howdy folks, a few weeks have passed and I have got used to the Gilmer (Like yourself Black 346, I really like it now .........) - have driven past a few Mr plods and nary a look in my direction (but I do make sure the right foot is not getting much pressure).
    Hears a VF GTS with one of these gilmer kits in Adelaide last weekend, so loud and couldn't live with that every day(nice for a weekender though)
    239/247 goodness............

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-04-2024 @ 10:58 AM

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKVE View Post
    Hears a VF GTS with one of these gilmer kits in Adelaide last weekend, so loud and couldn't live with that every day(nice for a weekender though)
    That is weird, the only way I can hear mine properly is with the window down, otherwise it is barely audible at cruising revs.

dgp is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 03-11-2023 @ 06:06 AM

Carlton, glad your getting it sorted mate. I seem to recall saying to you a few years ago something along the lines of, when you start modifying your car, it's very hard to stop. Kinda like a drug I guess. There is always something else to do.
    He, he, he, I think I sold you your first mod didn't I?

Thread Information